X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The importance of a good tailor

I've had my gray Argyll jacket for years it might have been my first kilt jacket after my Prince Charlie. It has always bothered me that the bottom of the waistcoat would cover the sporran. I had a function coming up and decided to get the waistcoat altered. Luckily there is no shortage of alterations tailors in Toronto and I found one fairly close to work. I told them I needed it by the end of the week for a memorial service and they had it finished by Thursday well in time for the event on Saturday. I am very pleased with the result, here are a couple of before and after photos.

Before

After

The difference is clear to me and I am sure that this combination will as a result be worn more as I feel much more comfortable in it. My advice if you have a piece that does not quite fit would be to find a good alterations tailor in your area and get it fixed to your specifications. It's the next best thing to bespoke.
    Last edited by McMurdo; 3rd June 18 at 04:23 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You’re absolutely right on that one. I had something similar done, although not with a kilt vest but another. He removed some cloth on the seam across the shoulders and then re-opened the arm holes on the vest with very similar and excellent results. My tailor and I have become good friends and my wardrobe is generally much nicer as a result.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice Job Indeed

I was trying to determine what they had done. I initially thought they had raised the shoulder seam, judging by the gap between the waistcoat line and the tie knot. However, on closer inspection, it seems they have done not only that, but also shaved the bottom line! A very professional job - and a pleasing result for you I'm sure! Looks far better.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great look and great fit McMurdo!! I second your advice. With a 42 size chest and 34 inch waist, the standard kilt jacket cut looked ill fitting on me. A visit to the tailor and BAM! Perfect fit around the waist. I gotta bring in the matching waistcoat to take it in at the waist as well, then I'll have my full set ready to go.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Great look and great fit McMurdo!! I second your advice. With a 42 size chest and 34 inch waist, the standard kilt jacket cut looked ill fitting on me. A visit to the tailor and BAM! Perfect fit around the waist. I gotta bring in the matching waistcoat to take it in at the waist as well, then I'll have my full set ready to go.
    I am almost the same measurements as you, though some recent weight loss is changing all that a few more trips to the tailor will be necessary soon.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    I was trying to determine what they had done. I initially thought they had raised the shoulder seam, judging by the gap between the waistcoat line and the tie knot. However, on closer inspection, it seems they have done not only that, but also shaved the bottom line! A very professional job - and a pleasing result for you I'm sure! Looks far better.
    Yes that is what they did I am contemplating taking in another waistcoat that I just acquired that is vintage and cut for Saxon dress as I am so very happy with the results.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A nice curved line

I definitely like the way they modified it. The curved line on the bottom of the waistcoat goes very nicely with the curved cut of the jacket. Much better than a pointed waistcoat bottom with a curved jacket.
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post: