X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weight loss and taking in the kilt

My wife lost over 30 lbs and much around the waist. She has several kilts, can kilts and skirts be taken in easily or is it a major problem. She has lost about 6 inches on the waist and gone from 42 hip to 37.5, suggestions?
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends on what you mean by a kilt. If they are kilt skirts, the best thing to do is take them to a tailor and have the tailor alter the garment to fit her better.

If they are true traditional kilts (which they would be if she has been a Highland dancer or a piper), a tailor won't know how to alter a kilt properly. You have a few options.
    • You could try just moving the underapron strap and the buckles on the fringe edge. The instructions are here: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-larger-78931/ If you or she are handy with a needle, it's an easy job to do yourself.
    • You could take the kilts to a kiltmaker and have the kilts altered. This is most commonly done by changing the size of the apron symmetrically (so that the center stripe remains the same). This is not a small job, and a reputable kiltmaker who does a proper job will put many hours into the re-build and should charge you accordingly for this kind of custom work. But, if she has lost 6" in the waist, the apron would be 3" smaller on each edge, for an overall 6" smaller across the front, which is likely to look really odd and out-of-proportion to the amount in the pleats on a person of her size. The pleats are typically not altered unless you're willing to pay a lot more.
    • Having said all this, I always tell people that an un-altered kilt has a lot more value than one that has been altered. I think that a better alternative for a trad kilt that is in good condition is to sell it and have a new, properly fitting one made. You'll spend less than it's likely to cost if you get someone who knows what they're doing to do a good job on an alteration, and the new kilt will fit a lot better than an altered one would.
    Last edited by Barb T; 6th June 18 at 12:01 PM.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....
    Member, Scottish Tartans Authority
    Geology stuff (mostly) at http://people.hamilton.edu/btewksbu
    The Art of Kiltmaking at http://theartofkiltmaking.com

3. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've recently lost weight and instead of trying to alter my old kilt, I have used it as an excuse to get a new, better one.

I am keeping my old one around "just in case" something happens to make my waist get bigger again.

Andrew

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always keep the older, larger kilt and do one of those weight loss photos. "Look what I did! This used to fit!"
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    You can always keep the older, larger kilt and do one of those weight loss photos. "Look what I did! This used to fit!"
    Brilliant, Steve!!! I love it.
    Kiltmaker, piper, and geologist (one of the few, the proud, with brains for rocks....

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Although I think this would be a great idea, knowing my wife, I think she just wants to forget about the "before" look and bask in the current "after" look. Since the time I have posted, she has gone from a size 12 to a size 6, lost almost 35 lbs. So, the her older tartan skirts either get altered or sold for new ones. She plans to lose about another 10 lbs in next month or so. So proud of her accomplishment. ALMOST a pleasure to purchase some new Scottish Ladies Wear for her. CHEERS.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to her!

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Barb T For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've lost 67 pounds in the last year so I've chosen to take the route of selling my larger kilts and reinvesting in smaller ones.

Only...hopefully, I'm not done losing weight yet. Just moved from morbidly obese to obese. More to go. Wanna stabilize at the healthy weight before doing any new kilts.

Whatever that weight turns out to be will talk to my kilt maker about whether reducing the remaining kilts in my clan tartans is worth it.

Being thin feels better than anything tastes!
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post: