X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tartan vest/waistcoat opinions in gernral and it's level of formality

Hi,

A few months ago I was in the process purchasing a new kilt (Macdonald, Lord of the Isles) and when the kiltmaker was ordering the material from Lochcarron, she let me know that they offered a tartan vest for a reasonable price (less than $125). I went ahead and purchased it and everything arrived today, but the truth is that I'm not exactly sure on what occasion I should wear it. I know I've seen the full matching kilt/vest/jacket ensemble before, but most seem to think of that as bit too much. I've seen that many believe that even a kilt with matching tartan tie is too "matchy".

So are there any opinions on an outfit scheme in which a tartan vest/waistcoat seems appropriate? For example: Perhaps with matching kilt and grey day wear jacket? Only on it's own or with a solid print kilt? (I do own a solid black kilt)

Seconldly, would having a matching tartan vest automatically raise the formality level? Maybe only wear at night functions?

I searched through the levels of formality forum pages and I don't believe I ever saw a tartan vest. I realize that should have maybe been a red flag that people do no often wear them, but it was sort of an impulse buy.

Thanks,

Disclaimer: I realize that I can wear whatever combinations of kilt and clothing that I want, but the opinions of those that have more experience with kilt traditions mean something to me so don't hold back!

IMG_2628.jpg
    I would likely not wear all three of these tartan garments together. I'm open to combination suggestions. Also, I would have preferred the vest be bias cut, but they did not offer that option. Lochcarron did however add pockets at no extra charge, something the kiltmaker informed me they had not done before.
    Last edited by Macseobang; 6th June 18 at 03:05 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Macseobang For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I happen to like tartan vests. I think they fit more in formal evening wear in modern times but there is certainly a historical precedent for them being worn in the day.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That waistcoat is interesting. Not being on the bias, coupled with the sett size being different from the kilt, produces a visual effect that I'm not sure I've seen before. I'm not sure what to think!

Generally speaking, a tartan waistcoat is a rare bird. It's usually seen on the bias and worn with evening wear. This is probably its best use, although it can look great with daywear as well (depending on what else is involved in the ensemble). I generally think it looks better with a daywear jacket, and not just the waistcoat with shirtsleeves.

I'd really like to see you wearing the kilt and waistcoat in a couple of different contexts, if you could get a chance to model it for us.

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    That waistcoat is interesting. Not being on the bias, coupled with the sett size being different from the kilt, produces a visual effect that I'm not sure I've seen before. I'm not sure what to think!

Generally speaking, a tartan waistcoat is a rare bird. It's usually seen on the bias and worn with evening wear. This is probably its best use, although it can look great with daywear as well (depending on what else is involved in the ensemble). I generally think it looks better with a daywear jacket, and not just the waistcoat with shirtsleeves.

I'd really like to see you wearing the kilt and waistcoat in a couple of different contexts, if you could get a chance to model it for us.
    Yes, I was going to mention that the sett size is smaller. This was because they made from different Lochcarron fabrics. The vest is 11oz and the kilt is 16oz. For some reason the sett is smaller. The kilt maker (Kathy Lare) mentioned that in her catalog one was listed as ancient and one as modern, but as you can see they are practically identical in color. I'll admit I like it better than if the sett was exactly the same size. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope I am not viewed as the anti-Christ here, but I wear a tartan vest with pants. Yes, I do own pants, and I do wear them from time to time. It is a nice flash of colour when I wear solid suit or slacks.

Mike

(I haven't come up with a creative signature line........so pretend this is it.)

9. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to mohughes5150 For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Tuppence

Quote Originally Posted by Macseobang View Post
    Hi,

A few months ago I was in the process purchasing a new kilt (Macdonald, Lord of the Isles) and when the kiltmaker was ordering the material from Lochcarron, she let me know that they offered a tartan vest for a reasonable price (less than $125). I went ahead and purchased it and everything arrived today, but the truth is that I'm not exactly sure on what occasion I should wear it. I know I've seen the full matching kilt/vest/jacket ensemble before, but most seem to think of that as bit too much. I've seen that many believe that even a kilt with matching tartan tie is too "matchy".

So are there any opinions on an outfit scheme in which a tartan vest/waistcoat seems appropriate? For example: Perhaps with matching kilt and grey day wear jacket? Only on it's own or with a solid print kilt? (I do own a solid black kilt)

Seconldly, would having a matching tartan vest automatically raise the formality level? Maybe only wear at night functions?

I searched through the levels of formality forum pages and I don't believe I ever saw a tartan vest. I realize that should have maybe been a red flag that people do no often wear them, but it was sort of an impulse buy.

Thanks,

Disclaimer: I realize that I can wear whatever combinations of kilt and clothing that I want, but the opinions of those that have more experience with kilt traditions mean something to me so don't hold back!

IMG_2628.jpg
    I would likely not wear all three of these tartan garments together. I'm open to combination suggestions. Also, I would have preferred the vest be bias cut, but they did not offer that option. Lochcarron did however add pockets at no extra charge, something the kiltmaker informed me they had not done before.
    When I first heard about matching tartan waist coats and Kilts I didn't like the sound of it. But after looking at various photos the idea has kind of grown on me, and some tartans really look very nice...........some not so much.

I did prefer the look if the waist coat tartan was cut on the bias rather than cut the same as the kilt, just to break things up a bit, but after looking at YOUR photo I think the difference in set size will do the same thing, break it up a bit, just a bit more gently. I think you are going to look quite smart actually .......the shirt and tie will have quite an influence I think

Personally I like waist coat colours to be quite different from the colour of the jacket......Example would be a mustard yellow waist coat with a jacket in shades of green or maybe even some blues, or a burgundy waist coat with a dark jacket.

If the waist coat and jacket are the same colour and same material they look a bit more formal to my eye, much like a three piece suit did and does in Saxon wear...... By that I don't mean they ARE more formal, they would just look a bit more formal in appearance....in my opinion

When I was a young lad most suits were always worn with a waist coat, If You saw an older person in a suit it was almost always three pieces Not so much when they wore a sports jacket with different colours of slacks.........Now it seems that a more casual look is accepted at almost any event.
    I'm still of a mind that certain events require a bit more dressing up. Having said that, when my youngest brother and his son's attended our step fathers funeral They wore blue jeans and very casual shirts .....personally I thought that was a bit rude but I never said anything. To me putting on your "better" or "best" clothes shows respect .....in my opinion........
    Different strokes for different folks is the saying that comes to mind

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd also like to see what it looks like on you. Some things look very different on the hanger and on the wearer. The different sett sizes is a very interesting twist. Like some of the others, I have always had a "bias" towards the bias-cut vests, but this style is interesting, too.

I don't currently have a tartan vest, although I admit I have been quite tempted by USA Kilts vest/jacket combo. I have had tartan trousers and wore them so much they finally wore right through.

Andrew

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your own questions lead me to believe you imagine the varied ways you can use your vest.
    I think wearing it with a solid dark kilt would be fine and give a different combination for the public and your choices with a limited amount of wardrobe.
    The vest worn with the same sett kilt can bring a formality to an ensemble. Like others, I would like to see a photo of how you will arrange the total look.
    Wear it with pants and jacket when a kilt is "over the top". There are those social moments when a kilt is distracting to the event.

I think the price helped in enhancing your stable of clothes.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Generally I wear my tartan waistcoat which is on the bias like this in a daywear setting. As I read this thread I thought I would leave the matching jacket off for this photo

However more often than not I wear them all together like so

I had the set designed with swappable buttons so that I could go with silver buttons or leather and have worn it for black tie events as well

The tartan waistcoat might not be for everyone, but I find it is simply another piece that people ask about.

14. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Macseobang View Post
    Hi,

Thanks,

IMG_2628.jpg
    Brilliant purchase. A tartan waistcoat will set you apart from the run of the mill crowd. This particular one could be worn with a tweed jacket for daywear or with black tie for an evening event. Well done.

P.S.- I would reserve the tartan necktie for times when you are not wearing the kilt. I think they look nice in the winter with a tweed jacket and flannels.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast