X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Inexpensive, Off-The Peg Tweed Kilts?

Does anyone know if there are relatively inexpensive/"starter"-grade tweed kilts to be had anywhere, as there are with virtually every other type? Not that I'm becoming bored with tartans (well, maybe a bit) but I've been wanting to get a tweed kilt for some time now, but my Cheap Bastard Genes are put off by how spendy they invariably are, even the ready-made ones. I've searched just about everywhere, even, I confess, in Sialkot (no, I didn't actually GO there in person--you know what I mean) with no luck. Is there really that much lack of demand? I would wear a decent quality, good AND cheap acrylic/PV/wool blend tweed kilt to pieces, and would likely buy several, if they existed, and I'm guessing--and hoping--I'm not alone.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

"I Wish Not To Intimidate, And Know Not How To Fear"

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DyerStraits For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's difficult to answer this question without knowing your price threshold for inexpensive versus expensive.

Is it tweed you're looking for specifically, or just a solid-colour kilt?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is going to be very hard for you to beat the price Rocky offers here for a quality tweed kilt, bespoke or off the rack:

https://www.usakilts.com/tweed-5-yard-kilt.html
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    It is going to be very hard for you to beat the price Rocky offers here for a quality tweed kilt, bespoke or off the rack:

https://www.usakilts.com/tweed-5-yard-kilt.html
    Yes, I have seen those, and that does seem to be the price to be beat, and still requires a rather large stick, IMO. So apparently and presumably there are no tweed equivalents of the very inexpensive (i.e. well under US$100.00) acrylic/PV/wool-blend tartan or solid colour kilts that are widely available. Given that all sorts of other low-priced ready-made garments (for either gender) made of synthetic and/or real wool blends are so easy to find, it seems it would not be any different for kilts, again assuming adequate demand. Are tweed kilts really such an eccentric choice that-as opposed to tweed kilt jackets--no one dares mass-produce them?
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DyerStraits View Post
    Are tweed kilts really such an eccentric choice that-as opposed to tweed kilt jackets--no one dares mass-produce them?
    In short, yes. Kilts themselves are a tiny micro-niche segment of the clothing industry. Tweed kilts are a tiny micro-segment of that. No supplier is going to make large numbers of them, just to have them sit on the shelf for years and years.

Plus, keep in mind that the sub-$100 kilt market is using really cheap synthetic materials. Tweed just isn't going to fit in that price range.

8. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    In short, yes. Kilts themselves are a tiny micro-niche segment of the clothing industry. Tweed kilts are a tiny micro-segment of that. No supplier is going to make large numbers of them, just to have them sit on the shelf for years and years.

Plus, keep in mind that the sub-$100 kilt market is using really cheap synthetic materials. Tweed just isn't going to fit in that price range.
    That essentially confirms my assumptions...
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my observation

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post

As in most things, there is quite a range in QUALITY, Kilts are no different. When prices of items are low, in new items, the first thing that is given up, in my opinion, is the quality
    There is a great difference in what one person's standard of quality is compared to another person's standard........My observation is if you want a quality item to the highest standard, you should expect, and be willing to pay a higher price for it ......Satisfaction is something good quality will seldom lose. Once the money is spent the amount gradually loses it's importance BUT the quality and satisfaction will remain as long as you have the kilt and the kilt will always retain it's quality even after, if it is passed along

I have learned that it is better to wait until you can afford THE QUALITY YOU EXPECT, rather than buy lesser quality in what you can afford at the moment.
    In this day and age instant gratification seems paramount and as most items are considered "throw away" Quality is often near the last thing considered .......just my opinion
    Last edited by Terry Searl; 7th June 18 at 03:35 PM.

11. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Terry Searl For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it perhaps that the definition of Tweed is getting in the way?

Tweed is defined by Merriam Webster as -

- a rough woolen fabric made usually in twill weaves and used especially for suits and coats -

Tweed is commonly found with flecks of multi-colors mixed in.

And a Tweed Tartan fabric. This fabric is kilt quality and retails for about $70.00 per linear yard. (4 linear yards of this fabric is needed to create an 8 yard kilt.)

Last edited by Steve Ashton; 7th June 18 at 03:47 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any use?

Not sure if these guys could help, assuming price range suits
    https://www.heritageofscotland.com/p...RoCYQEQAvD_BwE
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ashton View Post
    Is it perhaps that the definition of Tweed is getting in the way?

Tweed is defined by Merriam Webster as -

- a rough woolen fabric made usually in twill weaves and used especially for suits and coats -

Tweed is commonly found with flecks of multi-colors mixed in.

And a Tweed Tartan fabric. This fabric is kilt quality and retails for about $70.00 per linear yard. (4 linear yards of this fabric is needed to create an 8 yard kilt.)

Spot On, Steve. I have absolutely loved tweed from the moment I first laid eyes on the stuff as an adolescent, and am especially fond the of the colourful, heavily slubbed Donegal types, and if I do resort to bespoke that will likely be my choice, or maybe a chequered herringbone. Either way, I would get a LOT of mileage from a tweed kilt, especially since I love to wear kilts for weekend/casual/sport occasions, so I if must go the custom route, so be it.
    Best Regards,
    DyerStraits

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to DyerStraits For This Useful Post: