X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jacobs View Post
    Thanks Carlo, love USA kilts but looking for a more traditional kilt in this tartan and not Velcro closure...I have a Hamilton Gray from this company when I was in Scotland and love the 8 yard Poly Viscoe material...
    One day I'll have the cash and order a USA kilt.
    USA Kilts Semi-traditional doesn't have the velcro. And the have wool as well. Attached is the Irish National PV tartan they use in the casual and semi-trad kilts.
    "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."
    Just my 2¢ worth.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to duke_19_62 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Duke, Carlo mentioned the USA casual which has Velcro. And though I love USA Kilts I was just trying to find if anyone knew where I might find the Kilt I had attched is all, it from what im told was manufactured by Heritage of Scotland and that they possibly have discontinued it.
    Thanks for looking out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They still show it on their website. https://www.heritageofscotland.com/i...age-of-ireland
    "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now."
    Just my 2¢ worth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disregard my last. Only in sizes 28-32. Maybe you can contact them through the site. Sorry about that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries ...I watch the site and to teases me. I could just stop drinking Guinness and trim the waist line a bit, but whats the fun in that lol...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this is the one?

This is available on the UK ebay site, but it is acrylic. That said, a good friend of mine bought one as his 'combat kilt' for gigs and rugby etc (washable....) and was quite content with the quality and swing!
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Men-Scott...7y4wWm8Ec3elLQ
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to rain on your parade, but I don't think these kilts are polyviscose material. At $50 per 8 yard kilt, it's impossible the material is actually PV. It is likely acrylic. Also, their website says dry clean only, but one of the advantages of PV is that it's machine washable, so either it's not PV or the seller doesn't know much. Just my two cents.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are many generic Irish tartans, none of them of any great antiquity or authenticity. I own kilts in a couple of them myself. I think it comes down to whether you like the sett and whether it has the features you want for the right price.

When the Gaels first settled in Scotland they came from Ireland, and at the time wore a saffron robe called a leine (which now means a shirt in modern Irish) and a tartan brat (nothing to do with bratwurst, but a cloak). At the time, the sett of the tartan had no particular meaning, so assigning clan names or other meanings to tartans is a Scottish concept. They found the Highlands much windier than Ireland, so began wearing their belts outside their cloaks, accidentally inventing the kilt in the process.

In the 19th century the Gaelic League in Ireland began to promote kilt wearing by the Irish. To differentiate themselves from the Scots they eschewed tartan and instead wore kilts in either green or saffron. Green had become the Irish patriotic colour only after the French army supplied the rebels of 1796 with green cockades to wear in their hats. As for saffron, that goes back to the old Irish robe, the leine. However, saffron kilts are an entirely different colour than saffron leinte (plural of leine), as a result of using the same dye in different materials (wool instead of linen).

Named Irish tartans are a much later idea. There are many different tartans representing the whole of Ireland, plus one each for the four ancient kingdoms, and two entire sets of tartans to represent Irish counties, devised by two different mills. In addition, there are some tartans registered in the names of Irish clans or other Irish families, but the latter are usually expensive and may or may not exist in various names.

It so happens that Callaghan is a recognized clan, or at least the chief of same was once recognized by the Irish government, and has a registered tartan, although the latter may have been registered by a Scot called Callaghan. Ironically, the only known supplier of this tartan is Dalgleish, in Scotland, and it is a bit beyond my price range. Mind you, the first Callaghan was once king of Munster, one of the four kingdoms, and the Munster tartan is available from a number of sources, hence far more affordable.

Anyway, you have much good advice from others. My only real input is that I don't think it matters much which ''Ireland' tartan to go with, and I hope I have explained why.

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to O'Callaghan For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome, I'm really familiar with Kilts in general and own a few. Was really just looking for this particlar kilt from The Heritage of Scotland Company is all. I like the material and patern. Didn't matter that it was Irish or not. Though im now going to break the bank and get a USA Kilt in July...Tara Muted

Thanks for all the info

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Chris Jacobs For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One aspect of the OP was not addressed, IIRC, is the flashes. From my experience here on the forum, at games, and wearing kilts 2-5 times a week for years now (never fear, I can still be wrong both factually and in my attire), you might wish to consider non-tartan flashes. Or not.
    My personal preference is always garter ties, but I don't always wear them. I do, however, most often have them on. I like the splash of
    contrasting or complementing color, usually related to the shirt.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast