X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Personal Modification of Guthrie Tartan

Hi all. I'm not sure if this is the right spot for this, but here goes. I was playing around with one of the online tartan design sites and came up with this. It's a spin on the Guthrie tartan. I simply switched the black and red. The sett was not changed. I call it Carolina Guthrie. The blue is Carolina Blue and the green is supposed to match the longleaf pine. It was done strictly as a fun exercise. Here it is next to Guthrie in ancient colors for comparison. Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guthrie Carolina.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	467.6 KB 
ID:	34184

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guthrie Ancient.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	377.4 KB 
ID:	34185
    Last edited by Guthrumironhead; 12th June 18 at 04:57 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Guthrumironhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your variation looks good - nice and simple. Colors are not outlandish and blend well.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Perhaps your Clan Chief might have an opinion on the adjustment?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The clan Guthrie tartan is based off of the County Angus tartan where our Guthrie ancestor's were based. It might be a better idea to utilize that very similar tartan as the basis of your variation, so there is no messiness with the clan as Jock intimated might occur.

Cheers from a fellow Guthrie.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I definitely don’t want to create any controversy. Thanks to all!

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't think there would be controversy... weavers weave tartans in differing colour-schemes all the time.

Look at Royal Stewart! It's woven with the background in red, dark blue, light blue, grey, tan, black, white.

And not just that tartan, a number of tartans are in production in various colour-schemes.

What I don't know is if changing one or more colours is considered to be creating a new tartan, or a different version of the same tartan.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The original Guthrie Tartan is listed on the Scottish Register of Tartan as no. 1562 and dated to 1996.
    The Register has this to say about it -
    "Designed by Jack.R.Dalgety of Forfar for Ivan D. Guthrie of Guthrie. This started life as a personal tartan but became accepted as one for all the name (Phyllis Muir, Alex Dalgety of Forfar - 16/10/02). From Ingles Buchan. Sample in Scottish Tartans Authority's Dalgety Collection. Jack also wrote a book on the Guthrie family."

Personally I would check with the current representative, Alexander Guthrie of Guthrie, before changing it.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I have the aforementioned, very limited release book on the history of the Guthrie Clan. In it is described fully the lengthy process Guthrie of Guthrie went through in helping design his personal tartan, that would later become the clan tartan.

As I mentioned, it is very similar to the Angus District tartan when all is said and done, and the latter might be a good starting point for a modified tartan, but without the sticky ownership issues.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.