X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal flair

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personal flair

Within the context of traditional Highland attire, there is room for a little personal flair. For those who are interested, I’ve created a Pinterest board with some of my favourite outfits. Most of them are pretty traditional although I could be fairly accused of occasionally over dressing a touch for some of the events I attend. This is in response to a general relaxation of the formality of all events in Canada. For example, I don’t know of any white tie level Highland event that occurs so I tend to wear my fanciest things to black tie functions where a more subtle look would certainly serve. Chalk it up to personal flair.

With that in mind, enjoy this snapshot into some of my preferred Highland looks over the past few years in a variety of settings.

https://pin.it/4ztugo3dijsn3n
    Slàinte mhath,
    Last edited by Nathan; 13th June 18 at 04:55 AM.
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice to see I made an appearance or two

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Of course you did, my friend!
    Natan Easbaig Mac Dhòmhnaill, FSA Scot
    Past High Commissioner, Clan Donald Canada
    “Yet still the blood is strong, the heart is Highland, And we, in dreams, behold the Hebrides.” - The Canadian Boat Song.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Nathan For This Useful Post:

Terry Searl is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my own personal flair

As has been stated many times before here, Kilts are addictive and I'm afraid I've been shifted into that addict category

I'm looking into another kilt and this time I hope I'll be able to get one that will honour my Grand father's birthplace, Dublin Ireland.
    Historically the Irish never really wore tartans but in the last 100 years or so they have been caught up in the wave of the world where almost all groups of people have a tartan designed for them........ Dublin has at least two

At first I was told the tartan I wanted is no longer being woven, but Rocky at USA kilts says it is still in stock at the mill so I have asked my Kilt Makers, Jackson and Justin at North of Hadrians Celtic Clothing shop in Victoria,B.C., to try and find some for me.
    I think the pleating of it, is really going to make the kilt "pop" if I can decide just how I want it done ........I may be asking for help from you all in this regard

Last edited by Terry Searl; 13th June 18 at 09:16 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Me too!
    St. Andrew's Society of Toronto

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to JohntheBiker For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice spread! I agree that, not only Canadian, but American society as well have become ultra casual in the way we approach dressy events. I can't think of a single black tie event I would attend save the occasional wedding or military ball, but being still in active mode I wear dress uniform. It truly is a pity.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for sharing this. I must also say that I am glad to see you on the forum recently. I have enjoyed reading your posts and other contributions (such as sticky threads in the traditional section) from before I joined.

And as a MacDonald, your photos are extra helpful to me since I can see how the tartan looks with various outfits and colors!
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal flair is a very personal addition to ones attire and it is sometimes very difficult to strike the optimum balance, therefore we really do need to be very honest with ourselves when looking in the mirror, before we head out. When we add, the complication of personal interpretation of what we see in that mirror, particularly if one is a bit of a showman, then personal flair can be easily overdone. I think if we then add in the further complication of being in the company of those that make their attire decisions from photographs and the internet and their peers who also have little real experience of how kilt attire is worn in the real world then sadly, these kilt wearers who also don't have have a lifetimes knowledge of kilt attire, then the chances of sometimes looking like a film extra from a Rob Roy film is almost inevitable. Alright I exaggerate, but I think, I hope, you can see my point.

I am sorry if this is being hard, but that is how I and others, not everyone of course, over here see it and make no mistake we all have dropped the odd howler with our attire from time to time! Personal flair is like walking on ice, take little steps and testing ones footing is best course of action and even then the ice gives way suddenly when we have taken a step too far.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 15th June 18 at 01:44 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

14. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Personal flair is a very personal addition to ones attire and it is sometimes very difficult to strike the optimum balance, therefore we really do need to be very honest with ourselves when looking in the mirror, before we head out. When we add, the complication of personal interpretation of what we see in that mirror, particularly if one is a bit of a showman, then personal flair can be easily overdone. I think if we then add in the further complication of being in the company of those that make their attire decisions from photographs and the internet and their peers who also have little real experience of how kilt attire is worn in the real world then sadly, these kilt wearers who also don't have have a lifetimes knowledge of kilt attire, then the chances of sometimes looking like a film extra from a Rob Roy film is almost inevitable. Alright I exaggerate, but I think, I hope, you can see my point.

I am sorry if this is being hard, but that is how I and others, not everyone of course, over here see it and make no mistake we all have dropped the odd howler with our attire from time to time! Personal flair is like walking on ice, take little steps and testing ones footing is best course of action and even then the ice gives way suddenly when we have taken a step too far.
    Aside the differences between east and west of the Atlantic and the discussed personal flair...how does my generation (mid 30s) wear the kilt in scotland? Do they stick to the traditional highland way? Is there a more contemporary flair that the younger folks adopt when wearing the kilt? Oor can we expect those younger men to approach kilt wearing the same way those of the older generations?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, double post!
    Last edited by Manu; 15th June 18 at 06:19 AM.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast