X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Here are some combinations I put together
    (Please excuse my woeful computer skills attempting this)

I love what you've done here! I am struck by those yellow Argyll hose. I think they'd look very fetching with that kilt, in a casual setting.

I do have one question, though; How do you propose wearing the recommended trews with the kilt?

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KiltedSergeant For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jose995 View Post
    I do have one question, though; How do you propose wearing the recommended trews with the kilt?
    Lady Grey has great Pizazz. I don't question a magician's illusions.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jose995 View Post
    Why like this of course... the boots are a must!

Hee hee

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Lady Grey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I absolutely love the blues in your tartan, so I'd personally want to draw that color out. If I were to pick items in my own collection to wear, I'd choose my light blue dress shirt, my HoC Harris hose in Mustard with yellow garters, my black belt with bronze buckle, and black shoes. If needed a tie, perhaps my yellow one.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to SunriseEarth For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People make too much of this

Don't over complicate it.

When you get dressed in the morning for work you pick a shirt and pants that look OK together. They don't have to be in the same color palette, but they can be if you want.

When it comes to a kilt I like to use the suit and necktie analogy. As Steve said, pick out pieces that work together for your "suit". Then think about the kilt as the necktie. You pick one that will work with the colors in your "suit". The necktie does not have to include the colors in the suit, it just needs to not clash with it.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Here are some combinations I put together
    (Please excuse my woeful computer skills attempting this)

I also love what Lady Grey has done here. I don’t have much of a sense for colours (for the last 27 years, I’ve worn a uniform to work). I would like to purchase a tweed day jacket and vest that would work well with my Hamilton Modern Green kilt...any suggestions are much appreciated.

Lex
    I'm not lost, I just don't know where I am

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fflex View Post
    I also love what Lady Grey has done here. I don’t have much of a sense for colours (for the last 27 years, I’ve worn a uniform to work). I would like to purchase a tweed day jacket and vest that would work well with my Hamilton Modern Green kilt...any suggestions are much appreciated.

Lex
    Hey Lady Grey...you could make money putting together outfits I think!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For many here my mode of kilted dress might be a little too matchy matchy but then again, other than being a man in a kilt as the target of poking fun I have not been blasted for my choice of "outfits" when kilted. So take that for what it is worth.

I would ask you to look at what types of kilt jacket-waistcoat sets are most commonly seen --- tweeds in grey, lovat green or blue, navy or black argyles, fawn, olive, and the occasional subtle patterned tweeds (box, herringbone, Donnegal, etc...). Not that there are not others, but these are the staples most work with regularly. Almost all work well with about any tartan without knocking it into subservient status.

Shirts -- many simple colors like light blue, pink, yellow, fawn, even plain white---again these all work with almost any tartan, and frankly almost any jacket above as well. A little feistier would be white based tattersall, blue or green or red/pink striped, checked, gingham or the like, the kind of stuff you might see on just about anybody heading to church/temple or other somewhat dressy but casual situations. Most will act as the backdrop to almost any final choices of tie and hose and flashes.

With rare exceptions I tend toward more subtle color choices for hose -- claret, navy lovat green or blue, forest green, even olive or medium brown (in certain situations). My rare exceptions might be a deep purple hose with my Isle of Skye kilt, or my salmon/orange hose with my Dutch Friendship Tartan kilt, or occasionally a deep rich but vibrant red with my Ancient Red Douglas kilt. Nothing wrong with diced or tartan or castellated hose, or mustard for that matter, but in my eye they draw attention away form the kilt, except maybe in formal occasions where they can amplify its visual effect against black tie upper attire. I generally choose flashes that are less than subtle but complementary to the hose, try to pull a color out of the kilt, or go to red for some contrast and eye candy. I usually roll my flashes up a bit and let maybe less than an inch show under the hose overturn---just enough to be seen from more than 20 feet away.

Ties? A lot of different ways to go here. Regimental or college diagonal stripes are quite traditional and generally well accepted, but in my eye look horrible on me. So I stick to solid backgrounds with some pattern that is distinct but still subtle (unlike flashes I like this pattern to NOT be distinctly visible from more than 20 feet), and which may pick out something from the kilt like a minor stripe, or maybe the hose, flashes or even the jacket -- something to try to pull everything together.

I do not just randomly grab a shirt and tie and jacket from the closet, nor do I have rigid "outfits" that I always wear together with certain kilts. But I do have my own ability to visualize certain things with other things from across the closet or out in a drawer and they usually work pretty well. If they don't I have enough other choices that I can adjust as necessary to try to pull things together. I do believe in trying to pull things together, but not necessarily with the tartan----I have an olive jacket waistcoat tweed with windowpane navy and bourbon stripes and usually pull either a pink or navy stripe shirt and similar claret or navy hose, then find a tie that does not scream "what the hell am I doing here" amongst the rest. I would probably NOT wear that with my Ancient Red Douglas kilt, but would with my DFT or IOS or at least 7 or 8 of the 17 or so kilts I have in the closet. A few tartans (like the Red Douglas) are a little more difficult to collaborate or coordinate a look with, so turning down the tones to greys and blacks and whites always work for me to fall back on, with just a splash of color in flashes or a pocket square or tie.

Again, just one man's opinion. I enjoy being a peacock as much as the next guy -- else why would I insist on wearing a kilt on the golf course or to the few formal occasions I attend. But, as a rather sizable person (6'5" and 270#) I am a larger canvas than most upon which to splash ones peacock colors, sticking out in stature alone, so I tend toward less bold accoutrements with my kilt, instead taking solace and comfort in the relative simplicity of at least a limited palette of colors in any given look, usually trying to pull at least one color out of the kilt. It just seems to work better for me, and makes me comfortable in my clothes, which I think all of us would agree is a preferred situation if not a frank requirement.

As others have said, throw some stuff on, try this with that, then with something else. Consider a contrasting waistcoat, possibly in a knit or sweater type material. Stick to colors you are comfortable with, but don't hesitate to try something a little different sometimes to expand your range. Hell, you are in a kilt, your range is already pretty durned expanded already. Live it up, and if you go overboard a bit, you will figure it out with a little peak or six in the mirror. Enjoy, and walk with your head up and a smile on your face. That is probably the most important thing you can wear with your kilt. Confidence and a smile. All else is secondary.
    Last edited by ForresterModern; 18th June 18 at 08:37 PM.

14. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to ForresterModern For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12