X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Custom Weave of Welsh Tartan

I hope this is in the correct area to post. I have been given permission to have my Welsh family tartan woven by another weaver. I want 16oz and maybe a blend done. The blend would be for a more casual kilt and probably for my sons who are younger. I would use the 16oz for a full 8 yard kilt etc. I was told about this weaver in Alaska http://www.tartanweaver.com/ and wonder if anyone has any experience with them. I tried contacting Marton Mills in Otley England, but have not heard back. I am willing to pay a bit more for higher quality. I don't need 30 yards of fabric. I would like to keep the order as small as possible. Like maybe only 12 yards, double width. This is the first time ordering a custom weave for me. So any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to mohughes5150 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mohughes5150 View Post
    I hope this is in the correct area to post. I have been given permission to have my Welsh family tartan woven by another weaver. I want 16oz and maybe a blend done. The blend would be for a more casual kilt and probably for my sons who are younger. I would use the 16oz for a full 8 yard kilt etc. I was told about this weaver in Alaska http://www.tartanweaver.com/ and wonder if anyone has any experience with them. I tried contacting Marton Mills in Otley England, but have not heard back. I am willing to pay a bit more for higher quality. I don't need 30 yards of fabric. I would like to keep the order as small as possible. Like maybe only 12 yards, double width. This is the first time ordering a custom weave for me. So any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Have you considered Andrew Elliot Ltd? They do all my customer weaving projects and always produce excellent work. Min order 12yds single width.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Have you considered Andrew Elliot Ltd? They do all my customer weaving projects and always produce excellent work. Min order 12yds single width.
    I have not. Do you have contact info for them? Thanks. Nevermind. I found them. Thanks Google.
    Last edited by mohughes5150; 15th June 18 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Update

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be interested to hear of their 'average' price if either gentlemen are able to supply please? (I am confident each weave will be different of course, but a ball park would be appreciated).
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure as I have a trade account with them.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No problem, but thank you anyway.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohughes5051,

When you say you may want to have a blend done, do you mean something like a Polyester/Rayon blend? If so, there is really only one weaver who will normally have the yarns for that type of fabric in stock.

That weaving mill is Marton Mills.

Everyone else would have to source the yarns in the specific composition and exact colors you want. Not that they could not do it, but the price would be higher.

My suggestion would be to try Marton Mills again and include in your communication a copy of the authorization from the Wales Tartan Center, who are the copyright holders to the Welsh plaids, to have one of their designs woven by someone other than Cambrian Woolen Mills, who are the designer and weaver of record.

Most mills will not violate a copyright or restriction without written authorization from the copyright holder or designer. I know for a fact that Marton Mills will respect a copyright and will not knowingly violate one. They get all sorts of requests on a daily basis, and if you did not include a copy of your written authorization, that may be the reason they did not respond.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaidd View Post
    I would be interested to hear of their 'average' price if either gentlemen are able to supply please? (I am confident each weave will be different of course, but a ball park would be appreciated).
    I was quoted $80/yard for double width. by Andrew Eliot. That is quite less than I was expecting. That is 16oz

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to mohughes5150 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mohughes5150 View Post
    I was quoted $80/yard for double width. by Andrew Eliot. That is quite less than I was expecting. That is 16oz
    Thank you - that is considerably less than I would have expected too!

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post: