X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the end of the Gordon Highlanders

I was looking for something else, actually, on YouTube when I came upon this wonderful video documenting the final days of the Gordon Highlanders. Compounding the event was that they were stationed in Berlin at the time.

What shone through to me was the tremendous pride: The pride the men take in their service in the Gordons, the pride they take in the history of the regiment, the pride they take in their uniform (getting every last detail perfect for parade), the pride they take in their marching, the pride they take in their band, the pride the officers take in the qualities of their men.

There was great sadness yet also a determination to face the future bravely, to get on with the job at hand.

And the music was superb! What amazing blending of the pipes with the military band! I could feel the emotion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1SkFBvJs6Y

And now this story has been repeated several times over in the Scottish regiments, with the creation of the Royal Regiment of Scotland.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for posting this, very poignant.

A few years back I was in Edinburgh for the weekend and happened upon the ceremony where the Queen presented the new Royal Regiment of Scotland with their colours at Holyrood. I was able to watch the whole thing and it was some spectacle.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for posting that OC Richard. My Uncle served with the Gordon’s in the 60s. Was posted in Germany and demobilized out at Dover castle. He regretted not buying his kilt when he left I think it was only £5 or something but said he couldn’t afford it at the time.
    Slainte David

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a sad day seeing ALL of the glorious regiments impacted by this budget cutting amalgamated away. On a personal note, my family's history is with the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders who were first amalgamated with the 91st in the 1880's, and now lost in the RRS.

A truly disgusting way for those who are owed so much to be treated.
    Last edited by Mike S; 16th June 18 at 11:29 AM.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    It was a sad day seeing ALL of the glorious regiments impacted by this budget cutting amalgamated away. On a personal note, my family's history is with the 93rd Sutherland Highlanders who were first amalgamated with the 91st in the 1880's, and now lost in the RRS.

A truly disgusting way for those who are owed so much to be treated.
    The fate of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders is particularly sad, in my opinion.

From 2006 to 2013 the 5SCOTS were part of the 16 Air Assault Brigade.

Then in 2013 they were reduced to Company strength (Balaclava Company) and put on Public Duties.

AFAIK they lost their Pipes & Drums at that time.

This video from 2014 shows the officers and men adjusting to their new role.

Note the Pipes & Drums of 4SCOTS (The Highlanders) is providing the music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enmLzK0E3ok&t=23s

And here are 5SCOTS with the military band of the RRS at Buckingham Palace in April

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_wdu5hOEhQ
    Last edited by OC Richard; 16th June 18 at 03:14 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some old photos of the Gordon Highlanders.

A closeup showing the Pipe Major and the ornate drummer's doublets; note the presentation shield on the Pipe Major's bass drone stock.

Some magnificent Gordon Highlanders pipers

The Pipe Major

The Drums & Pipes. I see at least three cantle designs.

Note the different sporran cantle below

Last edited by OC Richard; 28th July 18 at 05:25 PM.

9. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank You, OC Richard, for sharing these photos pipers of both Gordons battalions!
    a few addition to Gordons pipers topic

about 1880-WWI there was couple distinctions in pipers dress between 1st and 2nd battalions of GH.
    1. pipers of 1/Gordons wore zig-zag (vandyke) ornamented wings and sporran cantles with deer head and crown.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1stGordonsPipers1897.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	34586

2. pipers of 2/Gordons wore castellated wings and sporran cantles with celtic ornament and black leather backing. Piper G.Findlater, VC, 2/Gordons

Name:	PiperFintlaterVC.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	105.0 KB 
ID:	34587

3. Also I have suspicion that 1/Gordons pipers wore their plaids UNDER the shoulder belt whereas 2/Gordones pipers - OVER the shoulder belt. See previous pictures for proof.

Distictions between Pipe-majors of both battalions were even more noticeable.

1/Gordons PM

Name:	1stGordonsPM-GS-McLennan.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	34584

2/Gordons PM

Name:	2ndGordonsPM1903.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	116.2 KB 
ID:	34585