X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Royal Stewart Kilt

Hey guys, I just want to get your thoughts on my kilt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	del.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	34223
    Last edited by PatrickHughes123; 20th June 18 at 11:18 AM.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to PatrickHughes123 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that we need clear photos of the front and back to do a fair assessment of the fit and workmanship of your kilt.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like to see the pleats. I like how you have blocked the sett in the front apron. Your kilt seems to wear well on your hips.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is one with pleats on the back

Name:	28309259_558415121190235_818619409_o.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	34226

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to PatrickHughes123 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who made the kilt? It looks fine from the photos but I would like more detail before making an informed decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your kilt looks nice Patrick. Maybe leave a gap of 3 fingers or so between the knee and the top of the hose.
    Best wishes
    John

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photo of the pleats. It looks like you have ample room for movement without the folds looking misaligned while you walk.

John's suggestion of leaving room between the hose and hem of your kilt can be achieved by making a fold (even a double lap) of the hose top. It felt strange to me when I first did that. When you see a photo, I think the presentation will grow on you. It will become second nature to do that later.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I may ask, where did this kilt come from? Was it off-the-peg, or custom made for you?

It seems a tad longer than one would expect in a made-to-fit kilt, or at least the angle of the first photo makes it appear that way. The selvedge appears to be below your knees. But the photo from behind makes it look like maybe it's not. I was just curious on whether a kilt-maker guided you in the fitting and made it to your specifications.

Just because I pay attention to details, I did notice that the rear of the kilt has a single belt loop smack-dab in the centre. I found that interesting. Not all kilt-makers put belt loops on their kilts, and of the ones that do, most that I've seen will install two of them, spread apart by perhaps 6 inches or thereabouts. We've had numerous discussions here about the real purpose of these belt loops, with the traditionalist consensus being that the kilt belt should be worn over the belt loops, and only the sporran strap going through the loops. This works out rather well when there are two belt loops, as the rear buckle of the sporran strap ends up neatly between them. But with only a single belt loop, the sporran strap buckle would interfere with the loop. Depending on the construction of the sporran and strap (one-piece strap that can be offset versus two-piece that has hard-point connection to the sporran), this could be an issue. I'm assuming that since you wear your kilt belt through the loop, you wear the sporran strap outside the loop?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    Here is one with pleats on the back

Name:	28309259_558415121190235_818619409_o.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	64.9 KB 
ID:	34226
    Why do I have the funny feeling that the kilt is not of wool, but crafted from an old bed spread!

(Just kidding....looks nice to me.)

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to KiltedSergeant For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    If I may ask, where did this kilt come from? Was it off-the-peg, or custom made for you?

It seems a tad longer than one would expect in a made-to-fit kilt, or at least the angle of the first photo makes it appear that way. The selvedge appears to be below your knees. But the photo from behind makes it look like maybe it's not. I was just curious on whether a kilt-maker guided you in the fitting and made it to your specifications.

Just because I pay attention to details, I did notice that the rear of the kilt has a single belt loop smack-dab in the centre. I found that interesting. Not all kilt-makers put belt loops on their kilts, and of the ones that do, most that I've seen will install two of them, spread apart by perhaps 6 inches or thereabouts. We've had numerous discussions here about the real purpose of these belt loops, with the traditionalist consensus being that the kilt belt should be worn over the belt loops, and only the sporran strap going through the loops. This works out rather well when there are two belt loops, as the rear buckle of the sporran strap ends up neatly between them. But with only a single belt loop, the sporran strap buckle would interfere with the loop. Depending on the construction of the sporran and strap (one-piece strap that can be offset versus two-piece that has hard-point connection to the sporran), this could be an issue. I'm assuming that since you wear your kilt belt through the loop, you wear the sporran strap outside the loop?
    I put both inside the loops. And it was off of Ebay.
    Last edited by PatrickHughes123; 26th June 18 at 03:04 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast