X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: The kit

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The kit

Hello, kilt enthusiasts,

As I begin to research and acquire the pieces of my first kilt kit, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything or headed down the wrong path.

I'll be wearing the kilt for the first time at a dinner at the University of Edinburgh (the Raeburn Room for those familiar) in September. This is not a formal dinner; others will be in suits and ties, so that is the level to which I would like to dress.

The kilt is of the Polaris (Military) Tartan, made up by Alexis Malcolm in 8-yd of 11-oz fabric, pleated to the sett.

Polaris.jpg

From head to toe, these are the pieces I need to acquire:

[not wearing any headgear]
    Shirt and necktie
    Tweed jacket and waistcoat (or belt)
    Sporran
    Hose and flashes (Alexis is providing the latter)
    Brogues

Optional: kilt pin and sgian-dubh

What am I missing? Any particular opinions on vest vs. belt? Just a matter of personal preference?

Thank you for indulging the newbie post.

Best,
    JB

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Joe,

I think you already have a pretty good handle on what to wear. Were it me, I would opt for a waistcoat with the jacket, with no belt.

Don't let that be the first time you wear the kilt! Wear it at home for a while, or casually around town for dinner, etc. Get used to walking in it and sweeping the pleats when you sit. Learn how to sit in it properly so you don't muss the pleats or show too much. It really does take a while to look and feel relaxed in the kilt, and you'll want to get the hang of it for a while before wearing it somewhere important like the event you're planning.

3. The Following 10 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, Tobus, great suggestion. I'm not sure when it will arrive from Alexis, but hopefully in enough time in advance of my trip so I can give a few test-wearings.

JB

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In your original post you say
    "others will be in suits and ties"
    May I suggest that you use this as your guide. Wear what the Scots will wear.

If it were me, the last thing I would want, would be to show up and be the only person in a kilt, and be instantly branded "The American who bought himself a kilt".
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

6. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Steve. I should have clarified about the event, I won't be the only kilted one; I wanted to give you a sense of the level of formality with the suit and tie comment. And all but one or two will be Americans anyway, so while I might be laughed at, it won't be by many Scots.

JB

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Joe Tradly For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks like you're set. Minor things, if it were me.

plain flashes
    other than white hose

The waistcoat or belt (or neither) will be all about "look". Sometimes only the shirt and tie don't provide the visual balance you're looking for. Yet, if its a warm room the waistcoat might be uncomfortable. A belt can get very warm against your back, too, especially while sitting at dinner. I like Tobus's advice to put it all on and walk about and get used to it. Maybe even replicate what activities you might be engaged in to test your style and comfort level. Sitting for a while in a kilt at dinner is a different experience.

Enjoy

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tradly View Post
    Hello, kilt enthusiasts,

As I begin to research and acquire the pieces of my first kilt kit, I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything or headed down the wrong path.

I'll be wearing the kilt for the first time at a dinner at the University of Edinburgh (the Raeburn Room for those familiar) in September. This is not a formal dinner; others will be in suits and ties, so that is the level to which I would like to dress.

The kilt is of the Polaris (Military) Tartan, made up by Alexis Malcolm in 8-yd of 11-oz fabric, pleated to the sett.

Polaris.jpg

From head to toe, these are the pieces I need to acquire:

[not wearing any headgear]
    Shirt and necktie
    Tweed jacket and waistcoat (or belt)
    Sporran
    Hose and flashes (Alexis is providing the latter)
    Brogues

Optional: kilt pin and sgian-dubh

What am I missing? Any particular opinions on vest vs. belt? Just a matter of personal preference?

Thank you for indulging the newbie post.

Best,
    JB
    I would avoid wearing a Balmoral or Glengarry as headwear is strictly outdoors. And it is not suitable for a dinner.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please remember, I made this mistake when I first started wearing the kilt, I wore it at the waist. Do not do that, you will look foolish. Kilts are supposed to hang no lower than mid-knee. So for me, personally, I put all the way up to the top of the belly button completely covering it which gives me the desired mid-knee look. I imagine this is the same for everyone.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    Please remember, I made this mistake when I first started wearing the kilt, I wore it at the waist. Do not do that, you will look foolish. Kilts are supposed to hang no lower than mid-knee. So for me, personally, I put all the way up to the top of the belly button completely covering it which gives me the desired mid-knee look. I imagine this is the same for everyone.
    Depending on where your navel is, and who the kiltmaker is. Not all navels are born in the same spot, and some kiltmakers create them to be worn at different heights. The mid / top of the knee is the measurement to use. To achieve that, mine is well above my belly button.

What do you call a hula-hoop with a thumb-tack stuck in from the outside?
    . . . a navel destroyer.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Depending on where your navel is, and who the kiltmaker is. Not all navels are born in the same spot, and some kiltmakers create them to be worn at different heights. The mid / top of the knee is the measurement to use. To achieve that, mine is well above my belly button.

What do you call a hula-hoop with a thumb-tack stuck in from the outside?
    . . . a navel destroyer.

I go with mid-knee. It is what I am comfortable with.