X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper Sgian Dubh

I know this has most likely been covered, and I did not want to hijack another thread, so here goes:

What is the proper type of sgian dubh for formal wear, and what is a good source?

I'm not a knife guy (but not adverse to them by any means), but want to ensure that my kit is in order for formal wear.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll take a shot at it (and potentially get shot down too! )

For evening wear, black with silver fittings is traditional, often with a cairngorm of your colour choice on the top.

I have another with African Blackwood handle and a brass pommel and fittings that I favour.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no rule that says you must wear a knife in your sock. So really, it comes down to the event and the venue.

If you are having to fly anywhere it is a good idea to leave the knife at home or pack it in checked luggage.
    It is usually a good idea to acquaint yourself with the local laws and regulations.
    If you are going to be on any school grounds leave the knife at home.
    The same would go for any public buildings like courthouses or museums etc.
    If you are going to be in a church it will depend on the church and personal preference. Some will not take a weapon into a house of worship and some do. It is a good idea to ask.

If your event is a Scottish themed event then that is the time to pull out all the stops and dress the part.

In general you would wear the best knife you have for the fancy dress events. If you have more than one you would probably choose the fanciest one with the shiney parts over the one with a deer antler handle.

But whatever you decide - leave the blade in its sheath. In this day and age, pulling and brandishing a knife could lead to finding yourself face down on the floor or the middle of the street.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The usual for formal events is a bog oak handle, silver fittings, and a stone.

It is a part of your outfit where you can show a bit of individuality so don't take this as a hard and fast rule.

I am sure a few people on here will show you examples of their sgian dubhs, this is my more formal wear one

IMG_3581.jpg

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Hirsty For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks! All great comments and I enjoy seeing some examples.

Cheers

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several sgian dubh's my first was one from eBay that was marked as a letter opener. It was not a quality piece but it did the job for what I needed at the time. I find a proper sgian dubh is one of the most overlooked pieces of kit in Highland wear. I was given a wonderful sgian a couple of years ago that was carved by girlfriends grandfather and was his personal sgian dubh. Since receiving it I have worn it with every conceivable outfit. Here is the sgian dubh

I am wearing it right now with a casual outfit. It features silver fittings and a cairngorm stone in the pommel. My point is get the best blade you can afford and you won't have to replace it. I am very proud of the sgian I have now and feel that it meets every need I have from casual wear to white tie.

10. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is one I made myself. It has a stag handle with my Regimental Crest set in the butt of the handle where the antler would have attached to the skull. I'll post a picture when I get home.
    "My beloved America, thank you for your children. If your children want to become soldiers I will train them. When they are hungry I will feed them. When they are thirsty I will give them water. When they fight for freedom I will lead them. When they are unsteady on the battlefield I will motivate them. If they die on the battlefield I will bury them. So help me God."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For discussion:

Left to right:

1. Cheap knock off of what would traditionally been made of blackwood with Sterling fittings. Black cairngorm.

2. Modern interpretation. Blue cairngorm

3. African blackwood with brass fittings. (My favourite)
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    But whatever you decide - leave the blade in its sheath. In this day and age, pulling and brandishing a knife could lead to finding yourself face down on the floor or the middle of the street.
    Yikes. Maybe that's true in some places, but not all. Nobody here in Texas would bat an eye at it. People carry pocket knives with bigger blades than that, and there are no restrictions on carrying knives or any other blades (yes, even swords are legal to carry here). When I wear the kilt, I treat my sgian dubh as a functional tool that replaces the everyday knife I keep in my pocket, and it gets used regularly. Unlike most people, I do keep a sharp edge on mine for cutting (mine has a Damascus blade).

I guess what I'm saying is that it's good advice to know local laws and customs. If you live in an area where people get all trembly at the sight of a tiny knife, then by all means keep it in its sheath or don't bother carrying it at all. If you live in a place where it's no big deal, then by all means carry it and let it be a handy tool. Be smart with it, of course, but don't treat it like a taboo item if you don't have to.

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My formal sgian is made of Black Cherry with a Mary Magdalene medal inset, a yellow Topaz (raw crystal) on top, a burnt/walnut stain and gloss finish. I like simple handles and ornate carvings equally. I have no like or dislike for extra metals on a knife unless they enhance the utility of the blade. Both of my knifes are true tools first and foremost but only worn with my kilt. I have other tools for different times in my life.

17. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast