X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face New tweed waistcoat

After two agonizing months of waiting, my Gaelic Themes tweed waistcoat from USA Kilts finally arrived. Despite the 90˚F (32˚C) heat, I just had to get dressed up and take a few pics:

These don't quite do the color justice, so I'll probably take more this Saturday a bit earlier in the day (and when it's hopefully not quite as hot so I can actually stand to be in direct sunlight). But still, I was too excited not to share it immediately.

A big thank you is in order to Rocky and his crew, for answering all my questions via email and in person, as well as helping me choose the perfect tweed from the swatchbook (Marton Mills' Loden Fen, in case you were wondering) back when my kilt was still the 8-yard length of fabric I'd just picked up from their shop...and of course, being able to try on one of the waistcoats they had in stock to make sure I got the perfect fit certainly didn't hurt.
    Last edited by Dollander; 7th July 18 at 09:04 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you guys show the great things you've gotten. My "wish-envy" list keeps growing. Good look item you have and I like the look of the ensemble.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great-looking waistcoat that coordinates well with the rest of your outfit. Is that an asot you're wearing about the neck?

Congrats on your new vest.

Andrew

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What tartan is that? I like it!
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always, muchos danke schön. While I've yet to throw in my two cents on it, I've been following that "Personal Flair" thread, and there's that tiny part of me that's paranoid about going too far in my "respecting tradition without being bound by it" philosphy. So I'm relieved to see that's not the case, at least among those who took the time to reply (or at least say "Aye") to my post.

Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    Is that an asot you're wearing about the neck?
    Actually, it's a mock ascot...or mock day cravat? I've seen numerous, contradictory explanations as to the difference and which is which. But either way, not only is 13oz wool too heavy (and itchy ) for a real day cravat, but I didn't have enough fabric left to make one. So a poly-lined tartan neckband with a single, permanently-creased blade that wraps around it will have to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
    What tartan is that? I like it!
    It's Murray of Tullibardine in House of Edgar's muted palette. I like how it's a unique sett that's busy without being loud, not to mention that I've always felt darker reds are a good match for my Mediterranean complexion. Plus, reading Figheadair's articles about its pre-Culloden origins cinched it as the choice for my "dress" kilt over the more common Murray of Atholl. And in case you didn't already figure it out, Murray is indeed my surname...and the reason my father's family has maintained a Scottish identity no matter how many PA Dutch women they married over the generations since crossing the Atlantic.

Oh, and here are the links to said articles if you wish to read them:
    https://www.scottishtartans.co.uk/Ea...ine_tartan.pdf
    https://www.scottishtartans.co.uk/Mu...eappraisal.pdf
    Last edited by Dollander; 7th July 18 at 07:54 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for the tartan ID. The Murrays were quite literally brothers to the Sutherlands, so I can rationalize myself right into acquiring a kilt in that tartan on my bucket list as well. .
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good looking waistcoat, I hope to get one soon. Congratulations on a very nice looking ensemble!
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to The TALL TN Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks great, a proper waistcoat and jacket are next on my list, to complete my winter kilting preparations. You don't make the wait any easier, wearing it so well.

If you don't mind me prying, I've been torn on lapels vs. no lapels. Why did you decide to go with the lapels on the vest. No criticism here, I think it looks absolutely solid. I'm just curious about how you made your decision.

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Jumpmonkey For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
    If you don't mind me prying, I've been torn on lapels vs. no lapels. Why did you decide to go with the lapels on the vest.
    I'm torn as well, but am leaning more toward getting the lapels so that it can be a semi dressy look in and of itself it it's too warm for a jacket.
    Never run or do jumping jacks while wearing a heavy sporran
    "500 years before Christ was born, a highlander stepped on the bloated carcass of a sheep and the bagpipes were born"
    Stabo (I shall stand)

16. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to The TALL TN Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Again, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpmonkey View Post
    If you don't mind me prying, I've been torn on lapels vs. no lapels. Why did you decide to go with the lapels on the vest. No criticism here, I think it looks absolutely solid. I'm just curious about how you made your decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by The TALL TN Scot View Post
    I'm torn as well, but am leaning more toward getting the lapels so that it can be a semi dressy look in and of itself it it's too warm for a jacket.
    Yeah, a semi-dressy look when it's too warm for a jacket is precisely what I was going for. That's why I chose not only the lapels but the full tweed back as well, and why I ordered it from USA Kilts as they seem to be the only retailer who offers the full variety of options that Gaelic Themes is capable of...well, that and my proximity to the shop so I could compare the swatches with my own eyes, and that they're in general just pretty cool people whose business is worth supporting.

18. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast