X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derosa View Post
    I prefer to leave the sporran at home. I wear one of 2 kilts every 3-4 weeks, they get swapped out after church but just for another kilt.
    Because it causes overheating? I think the sporran is a necessary part of the kilt. I love how you can carry your keys, money, phone, etc in it and you still feel free.

What do you mean exactly by 'they get swapped out'?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    Because it causes overheating? I think the sporran is a necessary part of the kilt. I love how you can carry your keys, money, phone, etc in it and you still feel free.

What do you mean exactly by 'they get swapped out'?
    I hang the keys from a loop on the belt and tuck the phone and wallet into the belt, just never liked the sporran hanging there. I'd actually like a leather pocket that goes on the belt that would just hold the wallet and phone without hanging down.

I have two clergy tartan kilts that are my "nicer" kilts; they're for services, any formal events, etc. From there I have a trio of kilts that I wear any time any where and don't worry about. Hiking through the brambles, working in the wood shop, gardening, lounging, or playing with the kids.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am with Tobus on the Sock Dreams cotton kilt socks. They are my go-to summer choice. I am currently on the beach in South China, not far from Hong Kong. The tropical air is almost solid with humidity and the summer sun is laser-strong, so I can definitely empathize with the struggles of all the Florida/Texas/California based members out there.

I am waiting for my new apartment to be built (our whole campus is a construction site, but classes will begin September 3rd, so it will have to be done soon). So I am living out of a suitcase and don't have the cotton socks with me. I may wear my kilt this week, though, with a pair of tan wool hose from What Price Glory that I found pretty breathable in the Atlanta heat last month.

Regarding button-down collars: I knew about the polo-playing connection and have certainly worn them on nearly all the madras and flannel sports shirts I've owned. I've always preferred other collar styles for dressing up, but have owned many button-downs over the years since they are nearly inescapable, especially when you need to pick up a shirt on short notice.

I will have to say that it is a pet peeve of mine to see people wearing button-downs with the points unbuttoned. It really looks as sloppy to me as walking about with your fly unzipped (or your dress shirt untucked, although that is the unfortunate fashion among young men here in China). It looks especially wrong when worn that way with a tie. I do understand Tobus's point about the collar looking different than other collars when it's not buttoned around the neck, but since it's a sporting style, I've probably seen it worn that way more often than with a tie, so it seems pretty natural to me.

I avoid button-downs with my kilt and with most of my suits, as well.

Andrew

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345