X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Threaded View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apron Deep Pleat Re-hem

I was trying out my new (to me) eBay find Black Watch kilt and noticed a wee oddity. While everything about the kilt is great as far as fit and construction go, I noticed the bottom of the upper apron deep pleat poking out from underneath the front left-hand edge of the kilt. When I examined the pleat I found that, while the bottom edge of the deep pleat had been hemmed, not quite enough material had been turned up to hide it from view. I knew I was going to have to tackle the alteration myself as my wife shuns anything to do with needle and thread. As I was ripping the original seam I noted the types of stitches and thread used to try and replicate them as closely as possible. After that I pinned it up, tried it on, then sewed it up as close to the original way as I could. It looks fine now, and while no one likely would have ever noticed, it would have bothered me whenever I wore the thing.

I don't think I would have tried this fix, or even have known it needed fixing, had I not had access to X-Marks and the knowledge available here. I wish now that I had taken before and after pics to document the process to more easily pass on what I learned.
    Last edited by Guthrumironhead; 10th July 18 at 09:21 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Guthrumironhead For This Useful Post: