X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apron Deep Pleat Re-hem

I was trying out my new (to me) eBay find Black Watch kilt and noticed a wee oddity. While everything about the kilt is great as far as fit and construction go, I noticed the bottom of the upper apron deep pleat poking out from underneath the front left-hand edge of the kilt. When I examined the pleat I found that, while the bottom edge of the deep pleat had been hemmed, not quite enough material had been turned up to hide it from view. I knew I was going to have to tackle the alteration myself as my wife shuns anything to do with needle and thread. As I was ripping the original seam I noted the types of stitches and thread used to try and replicate them as closely as possible. After that I pinned it up, tried it on, then sewed it up as close to the original way as I could. It looks fine now, and while no one likely would have ever noticed, it would have bothered me whenever I wore the thing.

I don't think I would have tried this fix, or even have known it needed fixing, had I not had access to X-Marks and the knowledge available here. I wish now that I had taken before and after pics to document the process to more easily pass on what I learned.
    Last edited by Guthrumironhead; 10th July 18 at 09:21 AM.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Guthrumironhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the greatest things I've learned here on this site, is the attention to detail shared among the group. Maybe no one ever would have noticed (as you speculate) but you would know. That has been my experience with the small details of my ensembles.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.