X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question from the NLATD.......

If that got anyone's attention, it is my acronym for No Longer A Tax Deduction, aka our eldest. A few months left of University, & we are trying to insure she gets out. Countries have come & gone, since she started! She is writing a paper for her Humanities class (what a load of bosh). Her chosen subject is Tartan. Peter / figheadir kindly offered some direction, after her initial web searching turned up contradictory information. This week, she asked me to seek assistance from the collective knowledge of the Forum. Hopefully, from anyone in Scotland, from Scotland, or deeply entrenched in it's culture. This week's assignment:

"Pose one question, regarding the relationship between human culture & your chosen artifact"

The artifact being, Tartan. Her curiosity is how people in / from Scotland feel about Tartans, how may be part of their life, et cetera. She's not looking for the answer. Rather, commentary from individuals that have some 'relationship' (ancestral or whatever). Writing she can do, once she gets some information. The Professor speaks / teaches in a high brow manner. Most students in the discussion posts are trying to figure out what the Professor was talking about. When I pm'd Peter, I included the following from the paper's outline:

Develop questions about fundamental aspects of human culture that inform personal assumptions, beliefs, & values using evidence from cultural artifacts & systems.
    AND.....
    Determine fundamental approaches to studying the humanities in addressing questions about how cultural artifacts & the culture they are created in have influenced each other.'

His words were,"I have to say, the academic community really don't go in for plain English do they, what a mouthful that topic is!". We all agree with that. If anyone cares to make a comment, the eldest wants me of offer a , "Thank you", in advance.
    Last edited by Baeau; 20th July 18 at 09:23 AM.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a definition of what makes a plaid a Tartan. It is the same warpwise and weftwise and has at least two pivot points.

But ever since the Tarim basin mummies to the Paris fashion runways of today Tartan has always been about fashion. Color, lots and lots of color. Tartan makes a splash like no other fabric.

Tartan also tells the world in a bold statement - This is who I am. This is where my people come from. This is how I got where I am today.
    And is that not the basis, he whole reason, for looking at culture?
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

3. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    Develop questions about fundamental aspects of human culture that inform personal assumptions, beliefs, & values using evidence from cultural artifacts & systems.
    That question, to me, seems to hit right at tartan.

Now I'm talking as an American, and you probably should disregard all comments from Americans, indeed disregard comments from all non-Highlanders! Because tartan is theirs, and theirs alone, strictly speaking. (Tartan is a Highland artifact and was developed as part of Highland culture. Yes I know all about ancient mummies and Bulgarian tartans etc however it's clear that the subject is "tartan" in the strict sense.)

But at least here in the USA many people who regard themselves as being "Scottish" (by which they mean of Scottish descent) have strong feelings about tartans, indeed "assumptions, beliefs, and values". I think it's an immigrant thing, that the more generations the immigrant is separated from the homeland the less direct connexion exists, and the concept of "Scottishness" (or "Irishness" or what have you) becomes centred around fewer and fewer things. The fewer the things the more importance is placed on each. What you're left with after many generations is, truth be told, a caricature of "Scottishness" comprising of only a very few components, and these are highly valued. There's much pride invested in these few things.

Tartan is perhaps the main one! Being "Scottish" without tartan is unthinkable. Not everyone plays the pipes, or does Scottish dancing, but everyone can buy a piece of tartan.

And yes tartan is both a cultural artifact and a system.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 20th July 18 at 04:38 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Experience tells me that these types of conversations go downhill very quickly on this website and I am not prepared to enter into a general conversation on this topic here. However, I will answer and in the strictest confidence as best I can, questions(not too academic please) from your daughter by email should she wish to supply her email address to me by PM.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 20th July 18 at 06:33 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Experience tells me that these types of conversations go downhill very quickly on this website and I am not prepared to enter into a general conversation on this topic here. However, I will answer and in the strictest confidence as best I can, questions(not too academic please) from your daughter by email should she wish to supply her email address to me by PM.
    Just what Jock said. I too am happy to help if your daughter wishes to be in touch with me by email.
    Alan

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to neloon For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    Her chosen subject is Tartan. ...Hopefully, from anyone in Scotland, from Scotland, or deeply entrenched in it's culture.

"Pose one question, regarding the relationship between human culture & your chosen artifact"

The artifact being, Tartan. Her curiosity is how people in / from Scotland feel about Tartans, how may be part of their life, et cetera. She's not looking for the answer. Rather, commentary from individuals that have some 'relationship' (ancestral or whatever). Writing she can do, once she gets some information. the Professor speaks / teaches in a high brow manner. Most students in the discussion posts are trying to figure out what the Professor was talking about.
    A difficult assignment. A good starting point would be to clarify that she does not choose to address "the relationship between human
    culture and your chosen artifact" but rather the relationship between Scottish culture and tartan. Or Highland Scots culture. Lack of
    clarity in the parameters of the discussion is where things "go downhill fast". Being able to separate reality from a national or cultural
    ethos is always fraught with tender emotions and dis/mis information. I'm still attempting to deal with the trauma I've suffered from my
    encounter with the idiotic belief that Paul Bunyan did not have a giant blue ox named Babe. And while I am dealing, I digress. It
    would probably be impossible to go any broader in such a short paper than a quick overview of tartan and Scots culture. Limiting to the
    Highlands culture enhances the probability of success. The success of Scots and their presence in the building of empire for the crown
    have led to the conflation of many disparate threads into the discussion of tartan worldwide. And it must needs be a short paper, if from
    time constraints alone.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To all, "Ta!" Pm's sent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happy to see that Jock was willing to give his thoughts. He was the first person I thought of when I read the OP. I also agree that getting comments via email might be the best approach as the content won't get flavored by discussion.

Also, as tripleblessed noted, she should definitely define the scope of her question as part of her research efforts. Otherwise she will be pulled in multiple directions very quickly. Of course, there is nothing wrong with showing that there are multiple lines of thought about her artifact, the tartan. One of the mistakes university students make is to assume that there is one answer to a discussion topic when in reality there are often many.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PM sent

Interesting assignment. There are perhaps two perspectives, among many, that might delineate tartan as a cultural symbol. Tartan as a historic reference to the past, and tartan as a modern design by the individual, family or corporation. Though both are a visual reflection of who we are and where we are from, it is tartan as a symbol on its own that can reflect the past or project the present and future. In doing so, the influence expands beyond any one culture bound by geography, language, behaviours and/or beliefs. Regardless, past or present/future, the artifact 'tartan' will undoubtedly endure.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wanted to express my gratitude, publicly (forumly?), to all that offered assistance, & information via pm's. I've learned things, I had'nt known. If & when NLATD arises, she will go into sensory overload. She may need more than cream for her coffee. I have the slightest amount of single malt left, & it's MINE.

As this project has a few more weeks to run, watch this space for further requests, my venting, & suggested means to get back at NLATD.

Cheers!

18. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast