X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: 44 inch fabric?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

44 inch fabric?

Hello! I'll soon be making my husband's first great kilt. In order to save money and be sure that he likes this style, I'm planning to use cotton flannel for this first one. Assuming he likes the style and fit, we'll save for better fabric down the road.

I looked at the fabric selection at my local Joann's, and they seem to have only 44 inch flannels. I do see plenty of 56-58 inch fabric online, but I hate to buy any without being able to hold it and know if it's the right weight for us (it can be quite hot where we live, and he only liked one very light flannel from Joann's). Annoyingly, the Joann's fabrics don't list the weights in the descriptions, so I have no way of comparing them to the online fabrics. Should I buy the Joann's and make a short great kilt for him? Or perhaps buy double the amount of fabric I need, trim it to 30 inches, and then sew it together to make the proper width (which seems too pricey, considering the low quality of this fabric)? Or perhaps someone can suggest a proper weight to look for in the online fabrics (remember, it's hot here)? Any help, opinions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi!

If I may interject and intervene, why a great kilt? They're no longer normally worn except for costumey or re-enactment purposes. Is that what you're going for?

...and now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    Hi!

If I may interject and intervene, why a great kilt? They're no longer normally worn except for costumey or re-enactment purposes. Is that what you're going for?

...and now, back to your regularly scheduled discussion.

We are attending a Renaissance Faire, so it should fit right in! I forgot to mention that in my post.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to emmyent For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    although a touch on the light side if I were to do a great kilt for the faire I'd grab one of these
    https://wooltartan.com/discount-tartans/
    It's an ok weight for a kilt and full width for a good price. Remember you only need 4 yards for a great kilt, 8 if you're sewing together to get the correct width.
    Last edited by derosa; 20th July 18 at 08:18 PM.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to derosa For This Useful Post: