X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Traditional kilt attire is not and never has been frozen in time, so yes it does "stretch out further" than many assume. Take Prince Charles's tweed kilt jackets for example, an oft used example of traditional kilt attire in action on this website, few if any, of his tweed day jackets have fancy cuffs or epaulettes.
    True Jock, however they are cut to be worn with the kilt. For me a Saxon suit jacket with a kilt is a bridge too far, even in a contemporary setting it looks sloppy and unkempt to my eye as the jacket interferes will the pleats. At least with a kilt jacket the bottom of the jacket meets the fell.

Patrick I think the tie is fine, the jacket is not. Sorry but it's just never going to work.

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    True Jock, however they are cut to be worn with the kilt. For me a Saxon suit jacket with a kilt is a bridge too far, even in a contemporary setting it looks sloppy and unkempt to my eye as the jacket interferes will the pleats. At least with a kilt jacket the bottom of the jacket meets the fell.

Patrick I think the tie is fine, the jacket is not. Sorry but it's just never going to work.
    Personally I give contemporary kilt wearers some leeway with their attire and I quite agree to a traditionalist's eyes a saxon cut jacket does look sloppy when worn with the kilt. However, I am no expert on contemporary kilt attire mainly because I see so little of it in the wild over here and therefore I hesitate to be too emphatic on the pros and cons of that style of kilt attire.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 22nd July 18 at 02:45 PM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry but it's just never going to work.
    That is okay, I have heard it before. I don't usually go for the suit kilt style, I usually wear a Ghillie Shirt with a fly plaid, I was just trying something new. Thanks for your honesty.

Maybe, I will just do a shirt and checkered tie next time.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to PatrickHughes123 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say I'm not a fan of the ghille shirt or the fly plaid especially on a shirt. I suppose that is the great thing we all come to this with different ideas.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to say I'm not a fan of the ghille shirt or the fly plaid especially on a shirt. I suppose that is the great thing we all come to this with different ideas.
    People wear it with t-shirts?

A Ghillie Shirt is a Renaissance-style shirt made in recent times, not a t-shirt.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    That is okay, I have heard it before. I don't usually go for the suit kilt style, I usually wear a Ghillie Shirt with a fly plaid, I was just trying something new. Thanks for your honesty.

Maybe, I will just do a shirt and checkered tie next time.
    Consider wearing a jumper (sweater) along with your kilt and tie for a semi dressy look.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    Consider wearing a jumper (sweater) along with your kilt and tie for a semi dressy look.
    If I ever get any, I will. I may have one buried deep in my wardrobe.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People wear it with t-shirts?

A Ghillie Shirt is a Renaissance-style shirt made in recent times, not a t-shirt.
    I've seen it done, and we would disagree on what a ghillie shirt is. Nonetheless I find a fly plaid completely over the top and for the most part unnecessary even when paired with a jacket. The only time it's close to acceptable is perhaps when one is getting married, but even then it's best left in the wardrobe, better still left in the shop in the first place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've seen it done, and we would disagree on what a ghillie shirt is. Nonetheless I find a fly plaid completely over the top and for the most part unnecessary even when paired with a jacket. The only time it's close to acceptable is perhaps when one is getting married, but even then it's best left in the wardrobe, better still left in the shop in the first place.
    Not a fan of Prince Charlie Jackets to be honest, I only really like the Ghillie Shirt. And I love the fly plaid. I think more people should wear it but it really is up to them, same goes for the day plaid.

I have some Scottish patriot t-shirts that can be worn with the kilt. But I hardly ever wear them, I plan to in future though. NEVER with a fly plaid I don't think.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a fan of Prince Charlie Jackets to be honest, I only really like the Ghillie Shirt. And I love the fly plaid. I think more people should wear it but it really is up to them, same goes for the day plaid.

I have some Scottish patriot t-shirts that can be worn with the kilt. But I hardly ever wear them, I plan to in future though. NEVER with a fly plaid I don't think.
    I do like a day plaid, I am not a huge fan of a Prince Charlie, but do have one for Black Tie, I would rather use one of my doublets instead. As for fly plaids I really have a problem with them but have just as big an aversion to the Ghillie shirt, both together is enough to turn my stomach to be honest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast