X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proper wearing of outfit.

Will be heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks for the AGM of Clan Donnachaidh. Was there 5 years ago, and I was about the only one not kilted. I've since had my kilt made, Robertson Hunting Modern, and love it. Along with a BPC jacket. Here's the issue. Will be attending the formal banquet and wearing the outfit with tux shirt and bow tie. Next day the clan meets at our kirk for services. Yes, we just purchased the Struan Kirk from the Church of Scotland. Most will be wearing kilts with tweed jackets and other daywear options. I don't have one...yet. Is it proper to wear a "regular" dress shirt with a leather vest and tie? Also, is it the accepted practice to NOT wear a belt with waistcoat/vest? TIA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say that I have ever seen someone wear a leather vest with a kilt. You could do it, but it will very likely stand out among those other tweed jackets and waistcoats. If I were to go waistcoat only, I would try to get a tweed waistcoat.

Regarding the waistcoat and belt wear, it is actually appropriate NOT to wear a belt when you wear a waistcoat. It'll look off sticking out from under the bottom of the waistcoat. Good luck and enjoy the festivities!

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnut View Post
    Will be heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks for the AGM of Clan Donnachaidh. ....Most will be wearing kilts with tweed jackets and other daywear options. I don't have one...yet. Is it proper to wear a "regular" dress shirt with a leather vest and tie? Also, is it the accepted practice to NOT wear a belt with waistcoat/vest? TIA
    If you can't get a tweed jacket in time, consider a hire tweed/vest combo with your dress shirt and tie. Arrange to pick it up before the AGM and return on the Monday following the kirk service.

Clan Mackintosh North America / Clan Chattan Association
    Cormack, McIntosh, Gow, Finlayson, Farquar, Waters, Swanson, Ross, Oag, Gilbert, Munro, Turnbough,
    McElroy, McCoy, Mackay, Henderson, Ivester, Castles, Copeland, MacQueen, McCumber, Matheson, Burns,
    Wilson, Campbell, Bartlett, Munro - a few of the ancestral names, mainly from the North-east of Scotland

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to California Highlander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will be heading to Scotland in a couple of weeks for the AGM of Clan Donnachaidh. Was there 5 years ago, and I was about the only one not kilted. I've since had my kilt made, Robertson Hunting Modern, and love it. Along with a BPC jacket. Here's the issue. Will be attending the formal banquet and wearing the outfit with tux shirt and bow tie. Next day the clan meets at our kirk for services. Yes, we just purchased the Struan Kirk from the Church of Scotland. Most will be wearing kilts with tweed jackets and other daywear options. I don't have one...yet. Is it proper to wear a "regular" dress shirt with a leather vest and tie? Also, is it the accepted practice to NOT wear a belt with waistcoat/vest? TIA
    Absolutely, do not wear a belt if wearing a waistcoat.There are a few rare exceptions that don't need to be gone into for now and certainly they don't apply to your proposed kilt use. I am not a regular church goer, but if it were me in your situation, I would wear shirt, tie and a pullover.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay this is how I would proceed if there are any kilt hire, or highland wear shops in your area I would see if they have any ex-rental tweed jackets. If not I would see about finding one on-line look at www.ebay.co.uk. I got one a couple of years ago a black argyll with silver buttons, from www.kilts4less.com it was at my door from Glasgow in 3 days in time for my nephews wedding. Here are a couple of photos of the argyll I purchased.

Barring that I would follow Jocks advise and wear a shirt and tie with a jumper.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Absolutely, do not wear a belt if wearing a waistcoat.There are a few rare exceptions that don't need to be gone into for now and certainly they don't apply to your proposed kilt use. I am not a regular church goer, but if it were me in your situation, I would wear shirt, tie and a pullover.
    Jock, thanks so much for the advice. And, I believe I'll be taking your suggestion and wearing the shirt, tie, and pullover along with the kilt.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Delighted to help.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jock, thanks so much for the advice. And, I believe I'll be taking your suggestion and wearing the shirt, tie, and pullover along with the kilt.
    For the future, I would still support @McMurdo’s comment regarding kilts4less. I have bought a plethora of items and kilts from them. The quality is excellent and the service even better. Drop them a line before hand and you will, I’m sure get Tax free shopping (mine is always refunded within a day, simply drop them a line with the request and order number.
    Dduw Bendithia pob Celtiaid

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Blaidd For This Useful Post: