X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Irish summer clothing

Good afternoon from Co. Donegal. I have spent my summer in Ireland and Scotland. Even though this summer has been warmer and drier than most, cool conditions have returned in some parts.

I'd like to report on the kilts that I've worn during my time here... So far as I'm due back to Scotland in August. I've brought with me:

1. Utilikilt Survival
    2. USA Kilts 16 oz, 5 yard-style wool in Connacht Crest tartan
    3. Tewksbury 13 oz, 8-yard style wool in Capercaillie tartan
    4. USA Kilts semi-trad MacKinnon tartan PV
    5. A 13 oz, 4 yard, double-width belted plaid in Kennedy modern
    6. An old lightweight (13 oz?), 8-yard style in Kennedy ancient by Hugh MacPherson.

I'm an active person and much of what I enjoy doing here is hill walking. I also play music and other things as well but much of my kilt experience here stems from bring physically active.

With the exception of a very cool evening, I'm finding that my (beautiful) Capercaillie kilt and my belted plaid don't see much use. My go-to is the Connacht and MacKinnon. With few exceptions, I find the MacKinnon to be the best for daytime physical activities. On cooler days, the Connacht will also be used.

Even while hiking in the mist on Skye, the MacKinnon or Connacht were the best options. There was one day, however, when the belted plaid would have been the best option but I was overly optimistic.

I have found when I've tried hiking/walking in the Kennedy ancient that I've been too warm.

I've only worn the Utilikilt at home or around doing potentially messy work. Meet a man from the North who admitted he had just bought a Utilikilt and we'll have a kilted afternoon later this week.

What else to report?

Best,
    Jonathan

2. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to jthk For This Useful Post: