X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horse hair sporran

I’ve got a horse hair sporran it’s a night mare to keep straight it’s al over
    The place any way to keep it under control?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First question: "How do you store it?"
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will you post a photo? We may see something that you may not be able to put into words. There may be solutions like proper shampoos and conditioners and brushing techniques. The Padre's question is a good direction.

4. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horse hair sporran storage

I have a horse hair sporran of Korean war vintage. It was gifted to my by the original owner. When he passed it to me twenty years ago, it was covered in a men's wool work sock. I continue to store it in the same sock and have worn it on occasion and received several compliments. The sock is pulled over the cantle and down over the horse hair. I store it lying flat in a drawer. It has never needed any more care than that.
    "All the great things are simple and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honour, duty, mercy, hope." Winston Churchill

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Ordway For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 2 horse hair sporrans I keep them both in a duffel bag something like an Adidas bag that seems to work for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    I have 2 horse hair sporrans I keep them both in a duffel bag something like an Adidas bag that seems to work for me.
    That’s a great idea will try that cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Tarheel;1360876]Will you post a photo? We may see something that you may not be able to put into words. There may be solutions like proper shampoos and conditioners and brushing techniques. The Padre's question is a good direction683BAD9D-6C7B-4C53-B441-D4D06D53B4A8.jpg
    Here’s a couple of photos this is the first time I’ve put photos on the site so bare with me
    let me know if the photos are any good cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Tarheel;1360876]Will you post a photo? We may see something that you may not be able to put into words. There may be solutions like proper shampoos and conditioners and brushing techniques. The Padre's question is a good direction683BAD9D-6C7B-4C53-B441-D4D06D53B4A8.jpg
    Here’s a couple of photos this is the first time I’ve put photos on the site so bare with me
    let me know if the photos are any good

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the photo. There is less tangle than I expected (unlike my ponytail in the mornings). I believe storage is the concern you face. I think a pet brush will take care of the fine tuning before wearing. I'm sure other members will add their experiences.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I store my horse hair sporran hanging in a closet, rather than laying down flat. I don't want the hair to develop a 'set' or any curls/waves from laying down for long periods.

Hair sporrans can be a bit of a pain when wearing, as the hairs will fly up or stick to the wool of the kilt, or get caught/tangled on things like kilt pins. Keeping them from being unruly (is "ruly" a word?) can be a challenge! But I do the same thing with my horse hair sporran as I do with my actual horse when I want his mane and tail to stay untangled: I rub in some Cowboy Magic detangler and brush it out. It's a life-saver when it comes to getting rid of nasty tangles and mud balls that horses can work into their manes and tails when they roll in the mud after a rainstorm. Once the mud hardens in there, you'll never get the tangles and twists out without cutting the hair ...unless you use something like Cowboy Magic that slicks the hair and makes it easy to pull the tangles out. By making the hair smooth and slick to the touch, it prevents it from getting tangled again, helps it swish better, minimizes any sticking to the wool, and helps the 'flyaway' stray hairs to lay down. Horse hair is horse hair, whether it's still on the horse or on your sporran. Just a little bit of Cowboy Magic rubbed on your hands ("a little dab'll do ya") and rubbed into the hair will make a world of difference.

13. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast