X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

harpers ferry and antietam

We went to harpers ferry which is one of my daughter's favorite local sites. We took the bus from the visitor center, went up to Jefferson's rock, wandered old town, crossed the old bridge and had ice cream. My two daughters then took the grand kids home for naps and my wife and I went on to Antietam.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_7114a800.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	147.7 KB 
ID:	34520
    We stopped at the provost office for passes.

Name:	DSC_7131a800.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	205.8 KB 
ID:	34519
    lunch at Jefferson rock

Name:	DSC_7141a800.jpg 
Size:	261.7 KB 
ID:	34521

Name:	DSC_7169a800.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	258.1 KB 
ID:	34522
    It took some hard decisions but after all chocolate won out

Name:	DSC_7229a800.jpg 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	34523
    a little rock throwing

Name:	DSC_7318a800.jpg 
Size:	351.5 KB 
ID:	34524
    Me at the irish brigade monument

Name:	DSC_7712a800.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	248.7 KB 
ID:	34525
    we went in the dunker church where I sang a couple of hymns. Beautiful acoustics and drove around the battlefield. Here is Burnsides bridge and it's large witness tree.

Name:	DSC_7697a800.jpg 
Size:	291.9 KB 
ID:	34526
    They had closed the road to one lane and put up these signs at each end

Name:	DSC_7656a800.jpg 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	34527

Name:	DSC_7699a800.jpg 
Size:	236.2 KB 
ID:	34528
    I'd hate to see what happens when there is a car at each end. I guess you just stop and stare at each other.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there was alot of wildlife

Name:	DSC_7475a800.jpg 
Size:	170.6 KB 
ID:	34529

Name:	DSC_7545a800.jpg 
Size:	280.4 KB 
ID:	34530

Name:	DSC_7667a800.jpg 
Size:	280.7 KB 
ID:	34531
    there were 2 fawns, both very small. one was quite skittish but one walked up to us until she was about 20 yards away and then watched us for about 10 minutes until it decided to join it sibling in the woods.

Name:	DSC_7849ab800.jpg 
Size:	227.1 KB 
ID:	34532

4. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to grizzbass For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lovely area, though also sad.

Just posted my Federal Memorial tartan kilt for sale...sad to do so but too skinny now. Seems the Confederate Memorial tartan gets all the play, but there is a Federal Memorial tartan too.
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use to live 20 minutes from Harper's Ferry, and about 45 from Antietam. Did living history as Union Solider at Antietam and Harper's Ferry for for many years. Many more places to see that are not in the National Park, in the town of Antietam. Did you know the Engine House was not at the present location it is now at Harper's Ferry, they moved it. So many interesting things in this area, and still beautiful, if the developes had their way, it would be a shopping mall. Glad you had nice time, next time go to Gettysburg, worth a couple of days up there.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a West Virginia native I'm happy you had a good time in our beautiful state!

Been to Harper's Ferry a few times, it's lovely. Is that Civil War buckle museum still there? The guy had got tons of buckles back when it was legal to use metal detectors at battlefields.

Not been to Antietam, on my bucket list, but I usually stay in Gettysburg every other year (a day trip from my Mom's house) and I love the quaint village.

It's so fascinating to walk the Gettysburg battlefield and see the lay of the land and how it corresponds to what we've read of the battle. The Bloody Angle...it sends chills up my back. Ditto Fredericksburg.

I wish more Americans knew our history.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Been to Harper's Ferry a few times, it's lovely. Is that Civil War buckle museum still there? The guy had got tons of buckles back when it was legal to use metal detectors at battlefields.

Not been to Antietam, on my bucket list, but I usually stay in Gettysburg every other year (a day trip from my Mom's house) and I love the quaint village.

It's so fascinating to walk the Gettysburg battlefield and see the lay of the land and how it corresponds to what we've read of the battle. The Bloody Angle...it sends chills up my back. Ditto Fredericksburg.

Was a Civil War Re-enactor for over 15 years, wrote for Ken Burns, and several other authors, did research, lived and breathed Civil War. Metal Detected back in. 1975 down in Culpepper, mainly Cedar Mountain, or as the Union called it Slaughters Hill, got tons of bullets, buckles, and many other items. Big collector for so many years. Even metal detected and found several buckets, breast plates, drops, and a CS buckle at Bunker Hill, WV way back in 76. Was really into the Civil War for so many years, travelled and lectured, part of NPS VIP program. Love history, and now focused on Jacobites. Gettysburg is the MECA. Franz Sultz who own Farnsworth House remains a good friend, photo of me below at officer Captain Union Army

Wife and I on period train...

CHEERS...
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 30th July 18 at 06:25 PM.
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Use to live 20 minutes from Harper's Ferry, and about 45 from Antietam. Did living history as Union Solider at Antietam and Harper's Ferry for for many years. Many more places to see that are not in the National Park, in the town of Antietam. Did you know the Engine House was not at the present location it is now at Harper's Ferry, they moved it. So many interesting things in this area, and still beautiful, if the developes had their way, it would be a shopping mall. Glad you had nice time, next time go to Gettysburg, worth a couple of days up there.
    my memory says it was moved to Chicago for the worlds fair. I'm up to a couple days total in Gettysburg. I stopped there overnight 20 years or so ago on an audition trip to new York. It was 20 below and had snowed several feet so only saw the museum. I went to a game con in penn. a year later and we spent 4 hours at little round top and the devil den. 3 years ago I got two days walking it. However it is still on my list of places I need to return and walk. We briefly debated hiking up to Maryland heights but with 3 kids, one 5 one 3 one 2 we decided another decade would be better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Was a Civil War Re-enactor for over 15 years, wrote for Ken Burns, and several other authors, did research, lived and breathed Civil War. Metal Detected back in. 1975 down in Culpepper, mainly Cedar Mountain, or as the Union called it Slaughters Hill, got tons of bullets, buckles, and many other items. Big collector for so many years. Even metal detected and found several buckets, breast plates, drops, and a CS buckle at Bunker Hill, WV way back in 76. Was really into the Civil War for so many years, travelled and lectured, part of NPS VIP program. Love history, and now focused on Jacobites. Gettysburg is the MECA. Franz Sultz who own Farnsworth House remains a good friend, photo of me below at officer Captain Union Army

Wife and I on period train...

CHEERS...
    I had friends do re-enacting especially during the Gettysburg filming. My father in-law has tons of stuff from Antietam from his great uncle (whose collection now is at the Antietam visitor center). # years ago I got to manassa which is one of the places I had wanted to go to. From a different era fort fredricks became a new favorite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didn't see the buckle guy

Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

but did see the old candy store. The kids really liked the provost because the staff people were quite good. My daughter lives in Fredrick but really likes going to harpers ferry.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzbass View Post
    I had friends do re-enacting especially during the Gettysburg filming. My father in-law has tons of stuff from Antietam from his great uncle (whose collection now is at the Antietam visitor center). # years ago I got to manassa which is one of the places I had wanted to go to. From a different era fort fredricks became a new favorite.
    Fort Frederick, is nice, more French Indian War period, I go every year to the Market Days, so many Jacobite Re-enactors show up for that event. Gettysburg, been there so much doing living histories, re-enactments, etc. Still find the place fascinating. I visit the 28th Massachusetts Monument, (Irish Brigade with NY and PA Regiments) on the top of the Wheat Field, near the 69th SNY Monument (Wolfhound and Cross). Area where the Irish Brigade held the line on the second day of the battle. They lost many on that field.

You have Fort Washington on the Potomac River that is often overlooked in Maryland, built as part of the Defenses after War of 1812. Excellent Fort, along with Fort McKinley in Baltimore, which is a very good place to visit. Fortress Monroe done in the Newport News, VA area, still has visitors center. My favorite of all Forts is Fort Pulaski, in Savannah, Ga, just love that place. So many Forts to visit, so little time. I did living history in Antietam years ago, under Paul Childs and Bob Frey (who is not the chief historian at Harpers Ferry). Antietham another battle on the Sunken Road where the Irish Brigade lost so many, fellow Irish and Scottish. Loved this stuff so much...
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 31st July 18 at 06:13 AM.