X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oyster Roast Attire

I will be attending a fall oyster roast that is typically business-casual attire. Like most in this group, I prefer to risk over-dressing than under-dressing. Any suggestions/pics?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as you're in a traditional kilt, you're way over-dressed, so tone it down with an open collar, short-sleeve shirt or a jumper if it's cooler. Day-wear sporran and self-coloured hose, but with nice shoes, not sneakers or boots.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shell fish are juicy so expect splashing of liquids and if alcohol is included, it is a certainty. Think of cleaning methods for later but don't lose focus while having fun.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    Shell fish are juicy so expect splashing of liquids and if alcohol is included, it is a certainty. Think of cleaning methods for later but don't lose focus while having fun.
    An excellent reason to own a Teflon coated PV kilt!
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

6. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice guys!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For Fall occasions, such as oyster roasts, which of the following footwear would you prefer: Brogues, brogue boots, or chukka boots? I realize it comes down to personal style, but I believe (second to the kilt) that the shoes tell the story.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 230Ball View Post
    For Fall occasions, such as oyster roasts, which of the following footwear would you prefer: Brogues, brogue boots, or chukka boots? I realize it comes down to personal style, but I believe (second to the kilt) that the shoes tell the story.
    For me, it would be less about the season and more about the level of dress of the event. For business casual, I'd stick with brogues.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. Brogues appear to be the most versatile. I'm assuming shoes, sporran, and belt (if no vest) should match black or brown?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 230Ball View Post
    I agree. Brogues appear to be the most versatile. I'm assuming shoes, sporran, and belt (if no vest) should match black or brown?
    The leather in your sporran or belt needn't match the leather on your shoes. Black brogues with a brown sporran are worn by a lot of people, including Prince Philip and Prince Charles.

Of course, if you're hanging around with a bunch of people who don't know kilt traditions, they might wonder why your leathers don't match. It wouldn't hurt to wear a black sporran with black brogues, or a brown sporran with brown brogues just to appease the American sense of matchy-matchy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice! I must admit that I was falling back on my standard rulebook for guidance. By chance, I was just browsing "Kilts In The Media" and the photos of Prince Charles as you described. He definitely sets the standard IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast