X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Thread: Weird jacket

Threaded View

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird jacket

What do you think of this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kilt-Jack...e/222775260404

It's a custom jacket made in the style of a battle dress (or Ike-style) jacket with flap pockets on the chest and a short, straight waist. Nothing odd there, necessarily. What I do find odd is that it's made of bottle green barathea, and includes faux gauntlet-style cuffs, plus the addition of square metal buttons. Like someone tried to custom make a military-looking field jacket that would serve some sort of formal wear purpose. (???) The clips at the bottom suggest they wore a belt with waistplate over it like one would with a Montrose doublet. To me, if falls under the "neither fish nor fowl" category, but maybe I'm just missing something. Thoughts?

They don't list any sizing information. You just have to look at the tape measure in some of the photos.

I like the Ike-style jackets as everyday jackets with a kilt, when not necessarily trying to fit within traditional Highland civilian dress conventions. Sadly, the one I have is a bit snug on me these days, so it doesn't get worn. I'd consider buying one like this, especially since it's not in a military green colour. I'd have to take those silly buttons off of it, though.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but it says the item is in Malaysia. Perhaps an Asian/Pac-rim attempt at a Scottish-style jacket?
    Last edited by Tobus; 26th July 18 at 11:39 AM.