X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird jacket

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird jacket

What do you think of this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kilt-Jack...e/222775260404

It's a custom jacket made in the style of a battle dress (or Ike-style) jacket with flap pockets on the chest and a short, straight waist. Nothing odd there, necessarily. What I do find odd is that it's made of bottle green barathea, and includes faux gauntlet-style cuffs, plus the addition of square metal buttons. Like someone tried to custom make a military-looking field jacket that would serve some sort of formal wear purpose. (???) The clips at the bottom suggest they wore a belt with waistplate over it like one would with a Montrose doublet. To me, if falls under the "neither fish nor fowl" category, but maybe I'm just missing something. Thoughts?

They don't list any sizing information. You just have to look at the tape measure in some of the photos.

I like the Ike-style jackets as everyday jackets with a kilt, when not necessarily trying to fit within traditional Highland civilian dress conventions. Sadly, the one I have is a bit snug on me these days, so it doesn't get worn. I'd consider buying one like this, especially since it's not in a military green colour. I'd have to take those silly buttons off of it, though.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but it says the item is in Malaysia. Perhaps an Asian/Pac-rim attempt at a Scottish-style jacket?
    Last edited by Tobus; 26th July 18 at 11:39 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scotty Thompson is dancing a jig up in heaven...

I think this is a case of someone taking a copy of "So, You're going to Wear the Kilt" to a tailor...

The style of it screams "military", not "Highland". I'd give it a pass, unless you're looking for a reason to stand out as different at the next Highland Games. And, well, the best way to stand out as different (in a good way) at the next Highland Games is to wear the kilt traditionally.
    Last edited by davidlpope; 26th July 18 at 02:10 PM.

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to davidlpope For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, it would look mighty strange at any Highland-themed event where traditional attire is expected. I'm not considering purchasing this jacket; I just thought the idea was strange enough to talk about. What I would consider, though, is an Ike-style jacket in a non-military colour like grey or brown, but without the faux gauntlet cuffs and square buttons. I would consider it more of a contemporary style jacket with kilt-wearing, for everyday walking the dog or putting about town, and not something to wear to Scottish events.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like the jacket, but I don't think I would pay 90 for it. The sale says that you can make an offer. Shoot them a reasonable offer for what it is. I don't think I would go more than 35-40 pounds for it unless it really scratches an itch for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It certainly does look like a battle dress jacket worn by members of the highland regiments. I just can't tell if the pictures are current or from a few decades ago, so I don't know if that style jacket is currently worn by them. If you are thinking of it for evening or more formal wear then I personally wouldn't use it. But, you are the one who would wear it, so if you like the look and think it will work for you then go for it. Just pay what you think it is worth.

Larry
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAF Battle Dress Jacket...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    What do you think of this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kilt-Jack...e/222775260404

It's a custom jacket made in the style of a battle dress (or Ike-style) jacket with flap pockets on the chest and a short, straight waist. Nothing odd there, necessarily. What I do find odd is that it's made of bottle green barathea, and includes faux gauntlet-style cuffs, plus the addition of square metal buttons. Like someone tried to custom make a military-looking field jacket that would serve some sort of formal wear purpose. (???) The clips at the bottom suggest they wore a belt with waistplate over it like one would with a Montrose doublet. To me, if falls under the "neither fish nor fowl" category, but maybe I'm just missing something. Thoughts?

They don't list any sizing information. You just have to look at the tape measure in some of the photos.

I like the Ike-style jackets as everyday jackets with a kilt, when not necessarily trying to fit within traditional Highland civilian dress conventions. Sadly, the one I have is a bit snug on me these days, so it doesn't get worn. I'd consider buying one like this, especially since it's not in a military green colour. I'd have to take those silly buttons off of it, though.

I don't know if it makes any difference, but it says the item is in Malaysia. Perhaps an Asian/Pac-rim attempt at a Scottish-style jacket?
    My father was in the RAF from 1942 to 1947. He wore the gray/blue battle dress jacket with a Black Watch kilt on parade days. And, his BD jacket looks a lot like the one shown here. I still have an RAF BD jacket, not his, but one sent me by my Aunt Yvonne back when I was a lad in the Air Force Cadets. It fit me then... now, not so much.

I say, if you can find jackets like the old BD and "Ike" jackets that match the colours in yer kilt, wear it!

idh
    Last edited by Wowbagger427; 27th July 18 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Another fricking typo...

8. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Wowbagger427 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't say I'm a fan! The jacket doesn't say highland dress to me, rather it screams bus driver....Scottish bus driver perhaps?
    Being male is a matter of birth,
    Being a man is a matter of maturity,
    Being a gentleman is a matter of choice!

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to MacCathmhaoil For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by MacCathmhaoil View Post
    Can't say I'm a fan! The jacket doesn't say highland dress to me, rather it screams bus driver....Scottish bus driver perhaps?
    Ralph MacKramden?
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Mike S For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think WowBagger has hit it on the head, I too think it's an RAF battledress blouse.

Somebody might have cut up a pair of matching battledress trousers to get the fabric to make the somewhat crude cuffs.

Battledress in RAF blue was issued beginning in 1942 and in Royal Navy blue beginning in 1943.

The battledress blouse in the Ebay auction is the 1949 pattern, which has lapels more or less like ordinary suit jackets.

The 1949 pattern was worn up until the end of battledress (1961).

So without any other information I might guess that this is a modified RAF 1949 pattern battledress blouse worn in an RAF pipe band.

Aha! I found a photo of a pipe band wearing these.

http://www.eyrewaves.co.uk/rspba/cho...ics/band1a.jpg

We should keep in mind that battledress was extremely influential and popular- during WWII the German army and US army adopted copies of it- and in the post-WWII era many civilian pipe bands adopted it too.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th July 18 at 04:09 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

14. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

Aha! I found a photo of a pipe band wearing these.

http://www.eyrewaves.co.uk/rspba/cho...ics/band1a.jpg
    My wife's two cousins were in this band when they were kids. One is a piper and one is a drummer. The one third from left is the drummer, John McIver, who now lives in Australia.
    Last edited by Arnot; 28th July 18 at 10:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast