X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My New Diced Balmoral

Hey everyone, got this new diced Balmoral about 2 weeks ago.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37301805_645328805832199_6342912237941817344_n.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	34546

Name:	37357236_645328759165537_6815045825148747776_n.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	34547

Name:	37289240_645335972498149_2537153326252818432_n.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	72.9 KB 
ID:	34548

What do you guys think? A traditional, old-style had but it is amazing and a classic. Now my hat selection for my kilt is finally complete.

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to PatrickHughes123 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lookin’ good, laddy!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that style has been around since the 18th century. It's the same bonnet that had more and more ostrich feather added to it and evolved into the Feather Bonnet.

It's perhaps one of the most persistent Highland Dress items. If you wear reproduction 18th century shoes or shirt or jacket with a kilt it looks like a historical costume, but that hat is still contemporary.

Here they are in 1780

(Note the fiddler holding the fiddle in the style that persisted in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.)

Also still in fashion, perhaps more so, is the earlier bonnet with plain border.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 28th July 18 at 04:11 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Yes that style has been around since the 18th century. It's the same bonnet that had more and more ostrich feather added to it and evolved into the Feather Bonnet.

It's perhaps one of the most persistent Highland Dress items. If you wear reproduction 18th century shoes or shirt or jacket with a kilt it looks like a historical costume, but that hat is still contemporary.

Here they are in 1780

(Note the fiddler holding the fiddle in the style that persisted in Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.)

Also still in fashion, perhaps more so, is the earlier bonnet with plain border.
    OC Richard, I think you misunderstood me. I know it's contemporary, but compared to the most contemporary Highland wear such as utility kilts and all that, it is very traditional.

Today, you can have an orange Glengarry with blue/yellow/red dicing if you wanted. But that is not traditional, a black Glengarry with red/white/black dicing however, is.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just me, I use the term "traditional" in a specific way, which I probably borrowed from musicology.

Something is "traditional" if it is a currently used thing which goes back to an unknown origin by means of an unbroken lineage of transitional forms.

So a traditional thing is a contemporary thing, by definition. If it wasn't still extant/current/contemporary, it would be a historical thing. (In other words the lineage died out at some point in the past.)

It so happens that that particular style of bonnet, which AFAIK first appears in the second half of the 18th century, is still in production and is widely worn.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonderful choice, truly traditional, and it will go with any level of highland dress or otherwise. And the dicing adds just a bit of flair, kinda like flashes with hose. Wear it with pride and in good health.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ForresterModern For This Useful Post: