X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post
    Hi tpa
    Sorry for the late reply.... I’m in sunny Honolulu for a few days before heading home and I’ve only just caught up with the forum
    My surname is Manx, my great great grandparents came to Australia from Port St Mary in the south along with lots of cousins and widowed aunts. I’m also related to many of the the Quayle’s and Fargher’s.

My great grandmother was a McKinnon from Tobermory on Mull in the highlands, so I also have that connection however I don’t like the McKinnon tartan so the Manx was the oblivious choice.

John from Laxey Woollen Mills was wonderful to deal with and sold me the kilt weight with a kilt selvedge that isn’t listed on the website but available.
    There is also a great book available about the history of the Mill.

My main problem was how to pleat?
    I don’t like to the white stripe nor the yellow, to the blue stripe was average.
    If I had attempted to pleat to the sett the hysteria and tantrums at Kamp would have been legendary (and not in a good way)
    The wonderful Barb came to rescue with the pleat idea which I adore.
    Thank you for all that, Lady Grey, I think it looks great. I must go visit the mill, next time I'm over there.
    If you are going to do it, do it in a kilt!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Grey View Post

My main problem was how to pleat?
    I don’t like to the white stripe nor the yellow, to the blue stripe was average.
    If I had attempted to pleat to the sett the hysteria and tantrums at Kamp would have been legendary (and not in a good way)
    The wonderful Barb came to rescue with the pleat idea which I adore.
    I am so envious of those nimble fingers sewing away! I have always viewed these Kilt Kamp events with awe and it looks to be so much fun!

So assuming the tongue was placed firmly in the cheek, why does the thought of pleating to the sett cause so much angst?
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So assuming the tongue was placed firmly in the cheek, why does the thought of pleating to the sett cause so much angst?

Ask a few who pleated to the sett.... they were much politer than would have been. It’s a real art.
    For this camp I wanted to concentrate on the technical sewing aspects.
    Barb is a great teacher and took us through the theory for sett pleating, Box pleats, etc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    Of the students in the Contemporary course Bikercelt was the first to finish his kilt.

This is a kilt in the Contemporary style,
    Mid Waist Height
    Machine Stitched
    With 2 Side Slash Pockets

Jamie had never sewn anything but a button before showing up for the first day of class.

He had never operated a sewing machine and certainly not one of my industrial machines.

For a guy walking into the course totally cold without knowing what to expect beforehand, all I have to say is - Well Done Jamie.
    Well, that adds a healthy dollop of encouragement for me, let me tell you! A good looking kilt right there. All the kilts shown look terrific!
    At a time like this one must ask themselves, 'WWJDD"
    What Would Jimmy Durante Do?

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobinn For This Useful Post:

tpa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This seemed like the best place to drop a link. T-shirts, totes, other products that have the entire text of The Princess Bride (plus some fun negative space artwork). I forget how to tag a person but BarbT in particular needs to see these!

ETA duh, Sydnie, include the link. . .https://www.litographs.com/collectio...princess-bride

In kilt news, Bob loves his Culloden kilt and looks forward to my putting needle to the bias cut vest from same.
    Last edited by sydnie7; 6th November 18 at 10:05 AM.
    Proudly Duncan [maternal], MacDonald and MacDaniel [paternal].

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to sydnie7 For This Useful Post:

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567