X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hand Crafted Contemporary Kilt -A New Guidebook ?????

In another post discussing The Art of Kiltmaking Steve/The Wizard of BC mentioned

'The Hand Crafted Contemporary Kilt" when it is published later this year.'

So Steve/TWoBC, are you publishing a book on contemporary kiltmaking? Any further info the publication date or who( if not you ) is publishing etc? C'mon on man, spill the proverbial beans....

If you are involved, I for one would certainly be interested if there is a prerelease or kickstarter or some such.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to bodhran4me For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, "The Hand Crafted Contemporary Kilt" is in draft stage right now.

The students in my half of Kilt Kamp are each receiving a copy and have kindly agreed to be my beta testers.

This has been a very, very long time in coming. I guess I have been promising my book for about 5 years now.

I finally just sat down an wrote the darn thing.

Every person's time time on this Earth is finite.
    We are born, we live, love, learn and at some
    time, we all die.

The strength of the human race is our ability,
    our willingness, to pass on to the next
    generation, that which we have learned.

Steve Ashton
    THCCK
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 28th July 18 at 01:05 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

4. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen kilts in museums dating back to the late 1700's.
    I have seen kilts from just about all of the big names and the largest shops.

Each one is made differently.

So I am not one of those who feels that there is one "Right", "Proper" or "Correct" kilt.

I am not one of those who likes the way some use the word "traditional" when they mean a type of kilt. I have found from experience that how the word traditional is most often used is a way of accessorizing a kilt. It is the way you wear it and not the way it is made that is traditional.

Over the past 200 years there have been thousands of very talented and gifted kiltmakers. Each one trying to find some way to have their product stand out from all the rest.
    There has been experimentation and development as different fashion styles come and go and new materials introduced.

Some of these experiments worked and may have become accepted. Others may not have worked and were abandoned.

But from the way I see it the kilt has evolved over time and continues to evolve today.

I view the Contemporary kilt as just another evolution in the kilt. I am "Standing on the shoulders of giants"

Many, when they see the word Contemporary, assume I mean another solid-colored Utility style kilt. I use the word Contemporary to mean -

"A kilt that has evolved to meet the needs of today's kilt wearer"

This is a Contemporary kilt as it is defined in THCCK -

As is this -

Both are made exactly the same.

I call this part of the evolution "The DFF&P difference".

D - Stands for Durability. As guys begin to wear their kilts more often small adjustments must be made to make them last. Such as eliminating the weak point presented by intentionally putting a hole in the left side. All too often kilts have come into my shop needing repair due to such design features that will not hold up to the stress of everyday wear. Durability = Longevity.

The first F - Stands for Fit. Not everyone wants to wear their kilt at the anatomical waist. Not everyone has a body shape that a kilt at the anatomical waist looks good on. But you can't just wear a kilt lower. The bottom selvedge edge drops below the knee and looks unsightly and the bottom of the Fell Area drops below the crest of the hips resulting in large shower curtain folds in the pleats. To wear a kilt lower it must be made to be worn lower from the very beginning of the design process.

The second F - Stands for Fabric. In the time that the kilt was first developed, the fabric of choice for much of a man's wardrobe was wool. Today there are a wide range of fabrics and fabric compositions. There really should not be any reason that we could not use some of these other fabrics for kilts when it does what we want a kilt fabric to do. But some fabrics need modification of the manufacturing process to take advantage of the capabilities of these fabrics.

And finally, the P - The P stands for Pockets. What other male garment today does not have pockets? If pockets can be incorporated into a kilt without destroying the line, the drape and the swish, is there any reason that a kilt should be the only garment without pockets?

And there you have a Contemporary kilt in a nutshell.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 28th July 18 at 03:03 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward to the final product. I can only imagine a suitable announcement will be made here on xmarksthescot upon its release to the public.

I am familiar with your idea of a contemporary kilt from the forum and your website at Freedom Kilts but it it certainly bears being spelled out for those who are looking at your book. I like the idea of the pockets on a ' traditional ' ( read as a tartan) kilt. I appreciate the classic look with the tweaks that make it a contemporary garment.

Stoff is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your book has been eagerly awaited. I am looking forward to the opportunity to read it and use your guidelines.

Stoff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will add it to the family collection of books as we were able to hold a draft on our last visit! Looking forward to reading it as well.