X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    Here is a painting by James Hardy made in 1871. The boy appears to be wearing a kilt in the same tweed as your photo.

Both made from a length of Shepheard Check cloth, probably navy blue and ecru, with a selvedge mark. I have a rather 'distressed' 19th century plaid in this pattern.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Both made from a length of Shepheard Check cloth, probably navy blue and ecru, with a selvedge mark. I have a rather 'distressed' 19th century plaid in this pattern.
    The selvedge mark really makes the look work for me. I like it much more than the interwar checked kilt in Richard's other photo.

Would that be woven into the fabric with the intention of it being made into kilts?
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a gamekeeper in a nicely checked tweed kilt. I like the jacket, what would you call that style Jock?

A quick reply, before we head South. I don't know if that style of jacket has a name, it probably has, but with the bellows pockets (handy for quick loading) and general style I would would call it a light weight shooting/country coat. If my imperfect memory serves, that is the Kinpurnie Estate Tweed.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The selvedge mark really makes the look work for me. I like it much more than the interwar checked kilt in Richard's other photo.

Would that be woven into the fabric with the intention of it being made into kilts?
    In this particular case the plaid has decorated ends too which shows that the cloth was intended for that use rather than kilting. That said, the simple check with the herringbone selvedge mark would make a very nice kilt.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Shepherd Check.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	34968

5. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought I'd add this vintage argyll into the mix as we are talking about vintage checks.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    Aye it does cling to the tweed, I was looking for my Peterson pipe the other day and found it and some tobacco in the inside pocket of one of my vintage Argyll jackets. I'm sure the smell is there to stay, and I'm okay with that.
    Love my Peterson!! It's an 03 (bent apple) in Kildare finish. It was a Christmas gift from my inlaws. Sadly, I tend not to smoke it very much except at Ren Faires because I tend to be overly paranoid of every chapped lip or potato-chip-cut in my mouth lately. My Bjarne bent billiard churchwarden is reserved for English and "Irish" (English with added cavendish like McClelland) tobaccos and my Peterson is for American-style aromatics.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345