X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My First Kilt Story is unusual and strange (at least for a non-hillbilly).

I got my first set of pipes in 1975, as a High School Graduation present from my Dad.

While they were on order I knew I wanted a kilt, but I didn't know where to get one, nor had I ever seen a kilt in person.

So in our hillbilly make-do DIY way, I went down to an ordinary fabric shop and bought some plaid wool that looked nice enough, tan with blue, red, black, and white stripes. Then my Grandmother and I looked at whatever kilt photos we could find (no internet in 1975!) and I came up with the pattern and she did the sewing. It really wasn't too bad considering.

Here's that first kilt, sorry the photo is so faded

Then around 1976 I discovered The Scottish Shopper in Seattle, a widely known source in the old days. I ordered some real tartan, 13oz MacDonald Of The Isles Hunting (due to some research suggesting a MacDonald connexion) and my Grandmother made my second kilt.

Here it is, at that time

We didn't know about cutting out the pleats in the back, but I was so skinny it didn't matter much.

It wasn't until 1977, when I joined my first Pipe Band, that I saw, and wore, my first made-in-Scotland genuine kilt, lovely it was, handsewn and heavy weight (in Ancient MacLaren). Over the last 40 years most of the kilts I've worn have been band kilts.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 14th September 18 at 09:32 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Double post
    Last edited by Manu; 31st July 18 at 06:32 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    My first one was a Black Stewart. I chose it because it was one of four tartans offered by Stillwater about 14 years ago! It was the one I liked the best. The one in my closet now is Ireland's National, which I chose because my wife and I'm about to pull the trigger on a County Cavan tartan because that is where her grandfather came from after WWII. Next on the list will be the Marine Dress Blue tartan for my service in the Corps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Simple. Its my Clan tartan, job done. I will wear no other.
    Well, the Marine Corps is my clan, biggest and baddest clan there ever was The other two are for my wife, they make her happy.
    Last edited by Manu; 31st July 18 at 06:34 AM.

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the Marine Corps is my clan, biggest and baddest clan there ever was The other two my wife loves.
    Well alright, its your choice and your money. Generally, whilst we could probably have the choice of many tartans, we Highland Scots stick to one tartan. If nothing else its------ errr, ummm, well----- less expensive that way!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 31st July 18 at 06:39 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

7. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well alright, its your choice and your money. Generally, we Highland Scots stick to one tartan.
    I'm aware of the Highland practice. If I remember correctly though Jock, I've seen you wearing a couple of different kilts, no? They were both McLeod of Harris, but I believe one was an enlarged sett.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't really have a choice.
    Tulach Ard

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm aware of the Highland practice. If I remember correctly though Jock, I've seen you wearing a couple of different kilts, no? They were both McLeod of Harris, but I believe one was an enlarged sett.
    Quite right, both the same Clan tartan, one is old and rather tatty now and used for more rugged and casual events and the other is reserved for the more smart events such as weddings. All perfectly acceptable from a Highland Scot's point of view and should I live for another 50 years., my present smart kilt will take up more casual duties and a new one will deal with the smart events.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 31st July 18 at 06:55 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first kilt was a matter of necessity and availability...

I was at a Celtic festival in Maryland a few years back with friends and family and I made the brilliant decision to wear full length blue jeans and a black polo shirt. Of course the temperature was in the 80's or 90's and I was sweltering. So, my darling bride suggested I go look at the kilts as a cooler option. I did but couldn't find one in wool that I liked or could afford so I bought an AmeriKilt utility kilt in olive drab. No bulky cargo pockets, just a cloth sporran and small hip pocket. A clean and simple design in cotton duck that I still wear for casual wear at home and around town on errands. It was cool and comfortable and the start in my kilted adventures.

Olive_detail_4.jpg

I next bought one in acrylic fabric in Lamont, the clan on my maternal grandmothers side of the family. Similar to black watch/campbell, but with a white stripe added.

lamontm_clipped_rev_1_ab645c0d-3021-4044-afec-dd2869003ded.jpg
    That is the only clan affiliation that I know of so I will stick with the variants of the Lamont tartan (ancient, modern, muted/hunting) I think.

I do have an Irish National in PV from USA Kilts since I liked the colors and my ancestors on the Lamont side got all over the british isles (england, ireland, scotland, and also wales).

You can certainly go with your military service tartans as many of us have. I did a search on Hawaii in the Scottish Registar of Tartans website and found two you might want to check out.

This is the Hawaii tartan, and it may be the official state tartan, per the write up on the website: http://www.tartansauthority.com/tart...awaii-district

This is a fashion tartan made and owned by USA Kilts called State Seal of Hawaii: http://www.tartansauthority.com/tart...hawaii-fashion
    The hielan' man he wears the kilt, even when it's snowin';
    He kens na where the wind comes frae, But he kens fine where its goin'.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to lschwartz For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ordered Sinclair Hunting old colours tartan from Scotland, and my wife hand-sewed my first kilt, using The Art of Kilt Making.

Last edited by ASinclair; 31st July 18 at 07:20 PM.
    Allen Sinclair, FSA Scot
    Eastern Region Vice President
    North Carolina Commissioner
    Clan Sinclair Association (USA)

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ASinclair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    both (kilts) the same Clan tartan, one is old and rather tatty now and used for more rugged and casual events and the other is reserved for the more smart events such as weddings.
    That's exactly my tweed kilt jacket situation: one a bit motheaten and shabby, for Rugby (watching not playing!) and the other in better condition, for piping gigs.

With the tartan of kilts, of course some Clans have several tartans, and a Mr Stewart could have a closet-full of the things, all different, with a Mr MacDonald not far behind.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 31st July 18 at 07:27 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast