X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    you might do well to shop around for used ones in common tartans. Just make sure you measure yourself accurately so you know your sizing options. By purchasing a pre-owned kilt for your first, you'll save some money for all the traditional accessories that will be needed (proper hose, sporran, sgian dubh, garter ties or flashes, belt, kilt pin, and much more).
    It never occurred to me to look for a preowned kilt! That is an awesome piece of advice. Thank you!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor wretched souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    "Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lschwartz View Post
    AmeriKilt utility kilt in olive drab. No bulky cargo pockets, just a cloth sporran and small hip pocket. A clean and simple design in cotton duck

Attachment 34618

I do like that AmeriKilt utility kilt. That one is definitely on my list

Attachment 34619

This is the Hawaii tartan, and it may be the official state tartan, per the write up on the website: http://www.tartansauthority.com/tart...awaii-district

This is a fashion tartan made and owned by USA Kilts called State Seal of Hawaii: http://www.tartansauthority.com/tart...hawaii-fashion
    I like both the Hawaii tartans. At this rate I'm going to have a closet full of kilts....
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor wretched souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    "Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bluethunder90 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Well, the Marine Corps is my clan, biggest and baddest clan there ever was
    Well let's not get carried away........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    To lighten the mood a bit, what is your blood level ratio to Laphroaig single malt? You may possess the right to wear the Argyll tartan by osmosis.
    Honoring that area by wearing a kilt in that tartan is a grand gesture in my opinion.

Lol.....Not nearly enough Laphroaig in my estimation, but I'm working to remedy that as we speak......

I just noticed that you're from Oxford. I was born and raised in Jackson and attended college at Jackson State

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bluethunder90 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
    My first kilt was in the Gunn Modern tartan, it was my dad's old kilt he gave it to me over a decade ago as I was in need of a kilt for a work function. As for what tartan you could purchase all those sound like good reasons behind the decision. Have you thought of the xmarksthescot tartan? Or you could get The Scottish Wildcat Tartan which was conceived designed with input from this community?
    I have seen the Scottish Wildcat Tartan and I do like it; I wouldn't mind having that one at all. Where might I find the xmarksthescot tartan?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder90 View Post
    I have seen the Scottish Wildcat Tartan and I do like it; I wouldn't mind having that one at all. Where might I find the xmarksthescot tartan?
    I think the best thing to do would be to talk to Steve at Freedom kilts regarding the XMarkstheScot tartan, if anyone knows where you can get some it would be him.

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got my first and current kilt from Ebay. It is a Royal Stewart one and is was from a selection of five tartans. Two of them being Pride of Scotland and Black Watch.

If I remember correctly it was £29.99!

I plan to get another kilt in the future in the Hughes family tartan.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to PatrickHughes123 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluethunder90 View Post
    I like both the Hawaii tartans. At this rate I'm going to have a closet full of kilts....
    There's worse habits in life than a closet full of kilts, still won't beat my wife's purse collection and those are used and put away for forever; haven't seen a reuse in 13 years.
    I also went with clergy as a first along with a Muir at the same time as its the only clan relation I currently know of. I've added 2 more clergy in purple, one box and one knife for variety. I've also added Culloden and would like to add a Russell as that is my actual name and an Arctic. I also have a kiltman canvas kilt which is nice for working around the house. Really any excuse seems like a good one to me but I try to keep it to a kilt a year.

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by derosa View Post
    There's worse habits in life than a closet full of kilts, still won't beat my wife's purse collection and those are used and put away for forever; haven't seen a reuse in 13 years.
    I also went with clergy as a first along with a Muir at the same time as its the only clan relation I currently know of. I've added 2 more clergy in purple, one box and one knife for variety. I've also added Culloden and would like to add a Russell as that is my actual name and an Arctic. I also have a kiltman canvas kilt which is nice for working around the house. Really any excuse seems like a good one to me but I try to keep it to a kilt a year.
    So you wear a kilt for a year the change it when the year changes?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My first was a budget acrylic kilt bought at a Renaissance Faire. The tartan was Royal Stewart since I love the "assertive" color scheme and my mother's clan (Boyd) is often associated with the Stewarts. The kilt came as a package with some budget accessories such as a cheap daywear sporran (with chain), a kilt pin, and some matching flashes.

After wearing the acrylic number a few times and getting very positive responses, I decided to upgrade to wool. I ordered a 5-yard, lightweight (11 oz.) "casual' kilt from Scotweb in Boyd tartan. It looks and feels much better than the acrylic, which I soon passed on to the teenage son of a friend who was interested in trying out kilt wearing.

I recently upgraded again to a full 8-yard model from USA Kilts in 13 oz. Boyd tartan. It is definitely even nicer than the Scotweb model.

So, like Jock, I've got a dressier and more casual kilt, both in the same clan tartan.

Andrew

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast