X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct term

Quote Originally Posted by kingandrew View Post
    My "pirate" shirt
    The correct term is Ghillie Shirt. It's often mocked even though it seems to be the only suitable upper body wear, and it is arguably the only item that is exclusively for the kilt. Shirts, jackets and many other things, with exceptions, can be worn with normal trousers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    The correct term is Ghillie Shirt. It's often mocked even though it seems to be the only suitable upper body wear, and it is arguably the only item that is exclusively for the kilt. Shirts, jackets and many other things, with exceptions, can be worn with normal trousers.
    Patrick,

In telling you this with the best of intentions in mind, not to mock you or belittle you in any way. Ghillie shirts are just that, shirts, shirts that YOU like, which in no way, shape or form makes it "the only acceptable" garment to wear with the kilt be it traditionally or contemporarily. I can tell you feel passionate about these shirts, so wear them and enjoy it. But please understand that the large majority of kilt wearers do not see these shirts as a real option for daily kilt wearing, no matter what your personal opinion might be. Perhaps you will even grow out of liking these shirts in the future. Who knows?! The fact that you like them does not make it wrong for others not to. The fact that others do not like them does not make it wrong for you to wear them. Don't spend so much time trying to push your views on others, you'll grow tired rather quickly

3. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the greatest of respect Patrick, this thread is posted in the "Contemporary Kilt" section which does make the conversation a tad tricky for a general conversation. Perhaps if this thread was moved, or better still, started again by you, in the general discussion section then we all could have an easier time with this conversation than we are now with the thread situated where it is now?
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th August 18 at 07:28 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Patrick,

In telling you this with the best of intentions in mind, not to mock you or belittle you in any way. Ghillie shirts are just that, shirts, shirts that YOU like, which in no way, shape or form makes it "the only acceptable" garment to wear with the kilt be it traditionally or contemporarily. I can tell you feel passionate about these shirts, so wear them and enjoy it. But please understand that the large majority of kilt wearers do not see these shirts as a real option for daily kilt wearing, no matter what your personal opinion might be. Perhaps you will even grow out of liking these shirts in the future. Who knows?! The fact that you like them does not make it wrong for others not to. The fact that others do not like them does not make it wrong for you to wear them. Don't spend so much time trying to push your views on others, you'll grow tired rather quickly
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot
    With the greatest of respect Patrick, this thread is posted in the "Contemporary Kilt" section which does make the conversation a tad tricky for a general conversation. Perhaps if this thread was moved, or better still, started again by you, in the general discussion section then we all could have an easier time with this conversation than we are now with the thread situated where it is now?
    Guys, I apologize. Please wear what you want, I just let my passions get ahead of me sometimes.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    Really? Are we going there? I mean great TV show, loved it, but it's not the same. It may be similar to a pirate shirt, but it isn't the same. It's based on the laced shirt worn by the Jacobites.
    Just having some fun, no offense should be taken, just feel fashion is a person thing, and if you like it wear it, just funning
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve recently bought some short sleeved shirts from Costco in different styles of checks. They have collar buttons but the price was too good for me to balk at that.
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FossilHunter View Post
    I’ve recently bought some short sleeved shirts from Costco in different styles of checks. They have collar buttons but the price was too good for me to balk at that.
    I imagine it's the same feeling you get when you buy some nice clean crisp cheap white shirts from ASDA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Marks and Spencer are great for easy to iron shirts that do not look like rags after one wash

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Jack View Post
    In a few days, I hope to receive a pair of the newly stocked "grandfather shirts" that are currently on sale at USA Kilts; I'll share my experience of those when they're in-hand received.
    Received a couple of granddaddy shirts (timely, as I've recently become a grandfather), and FWIW, I quite like them. Ordered one in blue and wore it for our anniversary party; I'm saving the creamy white one for whatever kiltish occasion next presents itself.

They look good with jeans or the kilt, and feel terrific. For forty bucks a pop from Rockstar (USA Kilts), I'd recommend them to anyone.

Cheers,
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taffy Jack View Post
    For forty bucks a pop from Rockstar (USA Kilts), I'd recommend them to anyone.
    Quick note: If you order one of these, DO follow the site instructions and order a size above your normal size, if you're American in any way.

At ~5'11" and 220 lbs., I wear an XL in pretty much everything, but a double-extra-large in these shirts fits me perfectly.

Cheers,

Jack
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast