X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Favorite source for shirts?

Yo, Rabblers:

Having found not nearly enough occasions to strap on my expen$ive and highly prized tank, I'm getting around soon to ordering a washable item from Sport Kilts that I plan to wear more often. Ergo, I'll need more non-tuxedo, decent-looking shirts.

It occurs to me that I've been out of the "decent-looking shirt" game for quite awhile now as I'm post-corporate, no longer a soldier of any stripe, and frequently engaged in grubby activities. These days, most of my casual dress and business-grade shirts are Goodwill finds.

I've been gifted a couple of Orvis shirts that look well with my kilt, but the brand seems costly to me. In a few days, I hope to receive a pair of the newly stocked "grandfather shirts" that are currently on sale at USA Kilts; I'll share my experience of those when they're in-hand received.

In the meantime, any recommendations for preferred shirt suppliers? My wife, dear as she is, is even more of a slob than I am, so no useful help is available from that source.

Any tips welcome. Thanks, Rabble!

Cheers,

Jack
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, if you want something washable, I'd recommend going a step up from the Spork Kilt to a USA Kilts' Casual model. I have one of the former, and I pretty much reserve it for the gym...or to throw on when there's an unexpected knock at the door as one might with shorts or a bathrobe. I'd consider it well worth the extra $40 for the USAK Casual, as it's much more suited to be worn as regular clothing. While I don't own one, I have seen them in person, and I've made myself several kilts from the exact same fabric.

For casual dress, any shirt you can wear with trousers can be worn with a kilt, provided the pattern doesn't clash. I may not be the greatest example, but for normal, day-to-day wear, I just go with darker-colored pocket t-shirts and plain sweaters, depending on the temperature. So if that's a little too casual for your tastes, those Goodwill finds you mention would be perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with those grandfather shirts if that's what you like, but don't feel like you need to have a "kilt shirt" just because you're wearing a kilt.
    Last edited by Dollander; 3rd August 18 at 09:11 PM.

3. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollander View Post
    First off, if you want something washable, I'd recommend going a step up from the Spork Kilt to a USA Kilts' Casual model. I have one of the former, and I pretty much reserve it for the gym...or to throw on when there's an unexpected knock at the door as one might with shorts or a bathrobe. I'd consider it well worth the extra $40 for the USAK Casual, as it's much more suited to be worn as regular clothing. While I don't own one, I have seen them in person, and I've made myself several kilts from the exact same fabric.
    Thanks for that tip, Dollander. I've kinda been pining for a kilt in Psychological Operations tartan, though -- and haven't found it available anywhere but, er... "Spork." Given your input, it may be that I pick up a USAK Casual instead, just for quality and comfort, but then I'll have to make actual decisions as to pattern...

My third kilt will likely be selected less for symbolic significance than for good looks and practicality. At that point, I may hie off to see the Wizard in Victoria. I'd like, in general, to wear fewer pants. Quite tired of pants, actually -- especially in the heat! Not a big fan of UK-type wear, however. If I want to wear a shop apron, I already own two or three.

Quote Originally Posted by Dollander View Post
    For casual dress, any shirt you can wear with trousers can be worn with a kilt, provided the pattern doesn't clash. I may not be the greatest example, but for normal, day-to-day wear, I just go with darker-colored pocket t-shirts and plain sweaters, depending on the temperature. So if that's a little too casual for your tastes, those Goodwill finds you mention would be perfectly fine. There's nothing wrong with those grandfather shirts if that's what you like, but don't feel like you need to have a "kilt shirt" just because you're wearing a kilt.
    Excellent; thanks. At 40 bucks a pop for a cotton/linen blend, though, I think I may like those granny shirts pretty well for summer.

I'll continue to keep a weather eye on Goodwill, too.

Again, my thanks.

Cheers,

Jack
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops...thanks for catching that typo. While not as nice as Marton Mills PV, I certainly wouldn't compare the quality of Sport Kilts' lighter poly blend to disposable cutlery.

Nomad is offline Oops, it seems this member needs to update their email address
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can pick something up in their sales Hoggs of Fife http://Fifecountry.co.uk are a good bet, unfortunately they are coming to the end of a big sale, so all of their linen shirts have gone.

A good one where prices are lower is http://Hollandscountryclothing.co.uk , they offer different brands as well as the odd Hoggs item.

Dont know if postage makes them an unviable option, but maybe worth consideration.
    Last edited by Nomad; 4th August 18 at 12:18 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Nomad For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Joseph Turner, you can pick up some very high quality shirts for £20 when they hit clearance. There's a sale on right now and some of their casual shirts are around that price point, but look to their clearance section at the end of the year and they have tattersall and formal shirts for that price too.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to tweedhead For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are there any reasonable (not cheap shirt) Tattersall Shirts available in the U.S.? I am finding it hard to find a good Tattersall in the U.S. that does NOT have the button down collar. When you buy for UK or Scotland, you postage is almost as much as the shirt.

One other question, what constitutes a Tattersall shirt, the pattern the material. Often I see them called Graph Shirt, Grid, Geometric, or even plaid. What is the correct pattern for tattersall?
    Last edited by CollinMacD; 4th August 18 at 07:51 AM.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those grandfather shirts should work well with your kilt. They are somewhat like the lightweight banded collar "adventurer's shirts" I've bought in places like Cambodia, which combine cool breathability and long sleeves. But, as noted, most shirts you would wear with pants will also work with a kilt.

For all sorts of shirts, from dressier oxfords to sportier flannels and turtlenecks, I often find good deals at Lands End and LL Bean. Most of their stuff combines traditional styling and quality with a reasonable price. Jos.A Bank offers similar items and has frequent sales.

My "pirate" shirt came from a vendor I met at a Renaissance Fair, called Jack's Shirts. He sold good-quality linen shirts of several designs, both long sleeve and sleeveless. However, his website seems to have disappeared during the Great Recession. But various historically-inspired designs out there might fit the look you're going for.

Another good resource for safari/military style shirts is What Price Glory. For summer wear, I often pair my kilt with their repro of the World War 2 US Army officer tropical poplin shirt. It's comfortable, durable, has large pockets and epaulets, and looks pretty spiffy with the kilt. Other outdoor shops will sell similar safari/pilot shirts that will look right and feel comfortable.

Happy hunting!

Andrew

12. The Following User Says 'Aye' to kingandrew For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found this site and order from them I have three of their Tattersall shirts. https://www.samuel-windsor.com/
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.' Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Richrail For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Richrail View Post
    I found this site and order from them I have three of their Tattersall shirts. https://www.samuel-windsor.com/
    Humm interesting. I had a quick look at their tattersall and "country" shirts and found that they tend to look a tad "noisier" than some of the shirts that we are used to over here.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast