X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickHughes123 View Post
    When I wear it, I am trying to look like a person in cultural wear. Not a person in a costume. I think if we wear the kilt, which is from the past, why not wear the shirt that went with it? I know it is a modern recreation, but I see it as the modern equivalent.

And I personally see it as the only suitable shirt to go with the kilt. Not a big fan of wearing normal shirts or ties.
    I think that is where you are looking at it wrong Patrick. The kilt is in no way a thing of the past. It is a tailored garment that has evolved with the times into what it is today, a very present day option of clothing. And again, ghillie shirts were not worn in the past because they did not exist back then.

2. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I wear it, I am trying to look like a person in cultural wear. Not a person in a costume. I think if we wear the kilt, which is from the past, why not wear the shirt that went with it? I know it is a modern recreation, but I see it as the modern equivalent.

And I personally see it as the only suitable shirt to go with the kilt. Not a big fan of wearing normal shirts or ties.
    Alright Jock take a deep breath! I have to be honest Patrick your kilt attire is doing a very good impression of attire from some sort of Pantomime. It might be modern, you may like it and fair enough. But as an example of everyday kilt attire it fails miserably. I am really sorry, but someone has to tell you as kindly as they are able, that you really need to have a rethink on what you are wearing if you want to be really taken seriously in the kilt world.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

4. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobus View Post
    If you enjoy the looks of a ghillie shirt, by all means wear it. Just understand that the design comes with some controversy and can lead to some odd looks.
    I have experienced the odd looks, but that may have just been for wearing the kilt in general.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    I think that is where you are looking at it wrong Patrick. The kilt is in no way a thing of the past. It is a tailored garment that has evolved with the times into what it is today, a very present day option of clothing. And again, ghillie shirts were not worn in the past because they did not exist back then.
    Yes I'm sorry, I worded it poorly. I meant to say traditional. And the Ghillie, being a modern recreation of an old historical shirt, should be the most worn kilt shirt option. That is what I'm trying to say in this post, that the Ghillie Shirt should be given more respect. I respect the kilt as a contemporary descendant of the old Belted Plaid while being traditional.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Alright Jock take a deep breath! I have to be honest Patrick your kilt attire is doing a very good impression of attire from some sort of Pantomime. It might be modern, you may like it and fair enough. But as an example of everyday kilt attire it fails miserably. I am really sorry, but someone has to tell you as kindly as they are able, that you really need to have a rethink on what you are wearing if you want to be really taken seriously in the kilt world.
    Ouch! That hurt a little! But hey, no offense taken. I may not be taken seriously with other kilt wearers, but I'm alright with that. I think it is a beautiful shirt and it works great for what I'm going for, smart, ceremonial, formal look with a bit of casualness. Hence, the Ghillie Shirt worn with an informal kilt belt but a very formal full-dress sporran.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ouch! That hurt a little! But hey, no offense taken. I may not be taken seriously with other kilt wearers, but I'm alright with that. I think it is a beautiful shirt and it works great for what I'm going for, smart, ceremonial, formal look with a bit of casualness. Hence, the Ghillie Shirt worn with an informal kilt belt but a very formal full-dress sporran.
    I have no wish to offend, but I am really sorry to say that you are not only barking up the wrong tree, you are also barking in the wrong forrest on the wrong planet. Yes, of course you want to dress as you please and I accept that completely and yes, I am an old school kilt wearer, but I have to be honest here, your attire is so off beam that its not surprising you get funny looks.

Get rid of those ghillie brogues, get rid of those white hose and wear them slightly lower, wear your kilt higher, get rid of that shirt, get rid of the feathers, reorganise that military style(shaved and shrunken) of your bonnet and do you really wear that plaid during the day and over both shoulders?

I am sorry, but you are not doing yourself any favours dressed as you are.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no wish to offend, but I am really sorry to say that you are not only barking up the wrong tree, you are also barking in the wrong forrest on the wrong planet. Yes, of course you want to dress as you please and I accept that completely and yes, I am an old school kilt wearer, but I have to be honest here, your attire is so off beam that its not surprising you get funny looks.

Get rid of those ghillie brogues, get rid of those white hose and wear them slightly lower, wear your kilt higher, get rid of that shirt, get rid of the feathers, reorganise that military style(shaved and shrunken) of your bonnet and do you really wear that plaid during the day and over both shoulders?

There is nothing wrong with my brogues, I understand why you feel weird about the white hose. I like Glengarries and Balmorals. The feather plume I think is okay. No, I don't wear the plaid over both shoulders, only when cold or raining to provide some heat or comfort. I know it is supposed to hang from the one shoulder and I do that most of the time, on the left shoulder. Don't often wear it during the day. I prefer it mid-knee, it's still technically correct, either top of knee or mid-knee. I know wear the hose three fingers below the knee, as you can see in picture one and two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm trying to be as cultural as possible, and I admit I look like a Jacobite or some sort of stereotype, but again, it's kind of what I'm going for, a tradition informal look with a bit of a formal contemporary element.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plaid that you are wearing is the wrong style to do what you need. I will not go on, but can I suggest on the quiet, that you compare other pictures on this website and compare them with your attire? You will see that very few are attired like you, even in the modern kilt sections.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th August 18 at 08:43 AM.

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plaid that you are wearing is the wrong style to do what you need. I will no go on, but can I suggest on the quiet, that you compare other pictures on this website and compare them with your attire? You will see that very few are attired like you, even in the modern kilt sections.
    I know about day plaids. I have a fly plaid. I may get a day plaid one day, but that will be in the future. Thanks for the advice.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast