X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ghillie Shirt

Hello rabble!

I can't help but notice something strange, people don't often wear Ghillie Shirts. I know the general idea/stigma around them but it needs to be brought out into open discussion. So, can I ask everyone's personal views/opinions as to why that is and what reason they have for not wearing one?

I think that people should be wearing Ghillie Shirts more as they do give a more authentic look to the kilt, as they are the modern recreation of the old shirt worn by the Jacobites. They seem to go better with a kilt than what a PCP or a white Victorian dress shirt does.

I wear the Ghillie Shirt most of the time with the kilt. Is there anyone else on the forum who wears the Ghillie Shirt often?

Ghillie Shirt, as shown below

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38391958_660321147666298_1031093150938038272_n.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	34682

Name:	38241948_661570444208035_683525516669485056_n.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	34683

Name:	36873949_241464976652325_40250462108123136_n.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	263.5 KB 
ID:	34684
    Last edited by PatrickHughes123; 6th August 18 at 02:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal opinion...it's just an ugly shirt. It looks like you are wearing a costume or trying to re-enact a period when something of the like was worn. The only person I've ever seen pull off the puffy sleeves look was the singer Prince. I also would not wear a Victorian dress shirt, as I do not live in Victorian times. There is nothing contemporary about it other than it was invented recently. At the end of the day, it is a matter of personal preference, but I think saying that a kilt looks more authentic when worn with this thing is a big stretch.

3. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Manu For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would have to agree with Manu here. For me these look like a costume piece, and not a very good one, they are neither fish nor fowl as the saying goes. My sister bought me one for Christmas one year, I returned it to the shop for 2 pair of kilt hose, it was a nicely made example of a poorly conceived garment. They look to me like the person was taken in by the tartan shop and sold a bill of goods. I know that you will have a problem with this Patrick but for me they simply do not and will never work with anything other than a pirate look and remind me of a Seinfeld episode.

5. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold firm Patrick, the discussion is about opinion and not the construction or comfort of the shirt. There will be many negative views for fashion (a fickle and changing thing) as positive.

I believe a push to improve the image of kilt wearing is alive and well among the Rabble. This group wants the public to look favorably upon kilt wearing without seeing the outfit as a costume only or a bygone item of clothing.

Gents and Ladies of the Rabble, civility is our trademark.
    Last edited by Tarheel; 6th August 18 at 03:46 AM.

7. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tarheel For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am of the opinion that the Grandfather shirt is a better choice for an “alternative kilt shirt”:
    https://www.usakilts.com/grandfather-shirt-blue.html

I say this for a few reasons. Buttons are now widely affordable, so shirts with a lacing or knot style closure feel antiquated. As others here have pointed out, the kilt as a normal daywear item is already “loud”. Other people mostly don’t wear it. Many people have never seen a kilted man in person. When one wears a kilt in a modern era, which many people already construe as somewhat or extremely like a costume, and then adds/retains elements which are also perceived as antique and costume-like, then the net effect is that one got lost on the way to a movie set.

Granted, I think one can get away with a lot at festivals and very formal occasions, but I would not wear an outfit like the ones you have posted to the grocery store. No offense intended.

9. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to RichardtheLarge For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To my mind, there might be historic evidence that this style of shirt was worn a long time ago, although in truth my knowledge on historic attire is thin.

There is no doubting that modern "Jacobite"/"pirate" style shirts are made, sold and worn these days, by those that follow the more modern kilt attire thinking.

However, neither of the above periods mesh with wearing the kilt in the traditional style. Whilst I realise this is the contemporary kilt section and as such, opinions are perfectly entitled to differ from mine. For what it is worth though, I would not put---inflict---- one of those shirts on a needy scarecrow!
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 6th August 18 at 05:34 AM. Reason: found my glasses.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say this with intended respect and civility, but I agree that the ghillie shirt is very costume-ish and anachronistic. Even if we set aside the immediate connection to pirate costumes (which, let's be honest, most people will immediately see), at best it looks like an awkward attempt at a historical reenactment item. This style of shirt did not evolve continuously with the modern kilt, and there seems to be some question as to whether the modern ghillie shirt is in any way accurate to historical shirts. This general style died out and was then resurrected by some well-meaning (I would hope) enthusiasts some time in the 1970s, as far as I can tell. But it is a style of shirt that seems to pair better with a belted plaid style, which of course is also anachronistic today.

I did own a ghillie shirt long ago, and wore it long enough in my own home to realise how silly it made me look, then I packed it up and shipped it back. But that's just my personal preference relating to my personal sense of style; I would rather wear the kilt in the evolved tradition instead of trying to revive a fantasy style of dubious accuracy.

If you enjoy the looks of a ghillie shirt, by all means wear it. Just understand that the design comes with some controversy and can lead to some odd looks.

13. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must confess, I have one, bought it well before I joined this site, and took advice of a person rather then doing more research. The shirt reminds me of a style of clothing worn around 1965 called the Ponderosa Shirt. Same concept, and the Ponderosa Shirt, yes the "Bonaza" TV Show, was made popular by Little Joe, was a laced pullover, but was made from a face rough animal skin, usually sold in deep red, gree, Tan, or black.

Here is a 1960s Ponderosa Pullover from the 1960, depicted below.

So, my point this style of fashion is far from new, and certainly not unique to Scotland. So I will say it, when I wear my Scottish clothing, I am not dressing up in a costume, I am wearing clothing, unless I do my Jacobite recreation, I am wearing clothes, not a costume.

Again, have one, I would rather wear a band color shirt rather than the Ghillie Shirt. I will hold on to it, but doubt seriously I would ever wear it, I agree more costume, than clothing.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

15. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two Ghillie Shirts, A black one and the other is white. I don't wear them often, the last time to the Scottish Festival here in Cambridge. To be honest, I didn't see anyone else wearing a Ghillie Shirt, but then again I was there to enjoy the Scottish Festival with my Sister and not see what everyone else was wearing, and thinking and wondering "If I was wearing my Kilt Attire worng. I personally don't see anything wrong with wearing a Ghillie Shirt, I believe they are also known as Jacobite Shirts. I would not wear one to a Highland Ball, or a Burn's Dinner, or to an Event for Saint Andrew's Day in November. But to a Highland Games or Scottish Festival, or if you are just "Roamin' in the Gloamn' with a Lassie by your side" is fine.

You have to do what makes you comfortable, and if wearing a Ghillie Shirt makes you feel good, then go for it. I respect the way Highland Dress should be worn, but I also think there is room for some experimentation when done tastefully. I personally do not like the look of a Kilt worn with Scrunched Socks in Army Boots with nothing more than a T-Shirt being worn. But this is my own personal taste, if someone who likes wearing the kilt this way and is happy with it, then more power to them.

Here is a photo taken of me in my Ghillie Shirt at the Clan Farquharson Tent at the Cambridge Scottish Festival, Saturday, 21 July, 2018. I personally think the Ghillie looks good with a Kilt when worn this way, and at the Scottish Festival I had the Lassies actually tell me they thought my Ghillie Shirt looked nice.

Just be yourself and do what makes Patrick Happy.. Life is too short to fret about what others think..

Name:	Clan Farquharson Tent Cambridge 21 July 18.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	168.6 KB 
ID:	34688
    Bill...
    “Canadian Grown and Raised from Scottish Roots!”.....
    "Clan Farquharson, & Clan Fraser of Lovat"....

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Famous Willie For This Useful Post:

PatrickHughes123 is offline Registration terminated at the member's request
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    Again, have one, I would rather wear a band color shirt rather than the Ghillie Shirt. I will hold on to it, but doubt seriously I would ever wear it, I agree more costume, than clothing.
    When I wear it, I am trying to look like a person in cultural wear. Not a person in a costume. I think if we wear the kilt, which is from the past, why not wear the shirt that went with it? I know it is a modern recreation, but I see it as the modern equivalent.

And I personally see it as the only suitable shirt to go with the kilt. Not a big fan of wearing normal shirts or ties.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast