X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wearing of Trews...to black tie affair.

I hope you can answer some of these questions, I know Jock will provide great direction. I purchased a great pair of trews, with the MacDonald Clanranald plaid. I am would like to wear them to a black tie affair. The trews are correct, military style. I plane to wear a Prince Charles jacket and vest. Now I have learned when you are kilted and have a waistcoast/vest you do not wear a belt. Does this apply when weaing trews, I imagine you would wear braces, and no belt. I plane to wear proper white shirt, black tie, and brogue shoes. But I want to make sure about the belt. Is there anything else I should know about wearing the trews, and accessories for the black tie affair. Am I correct on wearing the Prince Charles? Thank you.
    Allan Collin MacDonald III
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Grandmother - Clan Chisholm of Strathglass, West River, Antigonish, 1803
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really shouldn't wear a kilt belt whenever you are wearing a vest of any kind.
    My Clans: Guthrie, Sinclair, Sutherland, MacRae, McCain-Maclachlan, MacGregor-Petrie, Johnstone, Hamilton, Boyd, MacDonald-Alexander, Patterson, Thompson. Welsh:Edwards, Williams, Jones. Paternal line: Brandenburg/Prussia.
    Proud member: SCV/Mech Cav, MOSB. Camp Commander Ft. Heiman #1834 SCV Camp.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CollinMacD View Post
    But I want to make sure about the belt. Is there anything else I should know about wearing the trews, and accessories for the black tie affair. Am I correct on wearing the Prince Charles? Thank you.
    I would avoid the belt in all circumstances and styles of coat. One does see the Prince Charlie worn more often than other styles with trews but the kilt shops have a hand in that. Personally I prefer a Dinner Jacket, cummerbund and George Boots with trews.

20170125_184809.jpg

4. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Peter and company. I just use my tuxedo braces. Never liked such a big belt and buckle for formal events, like I was going to the rodeo...
    Grandfather - Clan Donald, MacDonald (Clanranald) /MacBride, Antigonish, NS, 1791
    Scottish Roots: Knoidart, Inverness, Scotland, then to Antigonish, Nova Scotia, Canada.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to CollinMacD For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your trews are the high waisted style with the fish tails and laces in the back there are no belt loop and no where to wear a belt. You should have braces buttons inside the waistband though.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A variation on Peter's first rate advice, particularly if you are wearing braces, is to wear a black low cut 3 button waistcoat and dinner jacket instead of a cummerbund . That way the braces are hidden.

George boots may not be easily come by, over your side of the pond, so well polished thin soled black Chelsea boots will get you by.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Monarch of the Glen may have been a light situation comedy, and may not have been the most accurate portrayal of Highland life, but they did pretty well with the costuming.

]
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

11. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would expect braces (suspenders) are worn by the gent in trews in the photo by Steve. I bet Peter has some at home, but his trews are too well tailored to need them. Just a guess.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel View Post
    I would expect braces (suspenders) are worn by the gent in trews in the photo by Steve. I bet Peter has some at home, but his trews are too well tailored to need them. Just a guess.
    I'm rather fond of my red and black check (Rob Roy tartan ) braces.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I will just stick with my black braces.... I have a set from my tux, so I will use what I have. No belt, will just wear my Prince Charles with 3 button vest, black tie, keep it simple. Thanks everybody... I will post photo when we go...next month

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast