X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rip stop nylon kilt....tried one yet?

So im just starting to dig into this whole kilt thing and discovered a "rip stop nylon" utility kilt....anyone have one? how does it wear? cooler?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nylon ripstop would make an absolutely awful kilt. I think one utility kilt maker claimed to use it, but they also didn't understand anything about their materials. Nylon/cotton ripstop, OTOH, is really fantastic stuff for this application.
    Last edited by ratspike; 6th August 18 at 07:24 PM.
    Cheers!
    Bob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have seen the UT Kilts ripstop kilts. They are the same sort of ripstop material that military BDUs are made from. I assume that it is a cotton/nylon or cotton/polyester blend. The material feels lightweight, but tough. It seems like it would be good for warm climates or Summer wear if you are working in the heat. If I recall correctly, they were around $60. I think all of their kilts have a 23 inch drop, but you can have one made a different length for about 20 bucks extra. I hope that helps. I only touched one of these kilts, but didn't purchase one. I did buy their ultimate utility kilt and really like it for applications where I'm working outdoors or hanging around the house. I wish I could help you more with your question, but that is about the best I can do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the 5.11 Tactical Kilt, but that is a poly/cotton ripstop fabric. It's a great casual kilt, but it's a bit generously sized.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good morning, I recently picked up a used Utilikilt Spartan camo in rip stop cotton and it is the lightest one I have and I really like it for everyday wear. I love how it falls in my lap when sitting unlike the 511 which is not a good sitting kilt. But the 511 is a great material in my mind, just with it had more pleats and front coverage. One thing I find is wind control is more difficult to deal with with the lighter kilts.
    IF YOU SAY YOU CAN OR CAN'T DO SOMETHING YOU ARE CORRECT.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No intent to break the rules here....I hope....

Macabi makes a "Riverkilt" that I enjoy which is knee length, rip stop nylon - though it is unpleated so technically probably not a kilt.

But, its perfect for the river. Having worn a wool kilt rafting down the Grand Canyon and polyviscose and cotton kilts rafting Glen Canyon, I've settled on the unpleated Macabi in ripstop nylon. I think its ripstop...will double check the tags. MUCH less cumbersome and of course much lighter - which is a key factor in packing for the weight limit on the down canyon trips.

Never had a problem with quality on the nylon.

As Utilikilt says, "form follows function." The unpleated nylon is perfect for the river and preserves FREEDOM!
    Ol' Macdonald himself, a proud son of Skye and Cape Breton Island
    Lifetime Member STA. Two time winner of Utilikiltarian of the Month.
    "I'll have a kilt please, a nice hand sewn tartan, 16 ounce Strome. Oh, and a sporran on the side, with a strap please."

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Riverkilt For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utilikilt Survival

I have the new Survival model from Utilikilts and it's cotton rip-stop. Light-weight and very nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UT Kilts Ripstops

I have a couple UT Kilts ripstop type kilts and they are really great for warm weather; very light and drop nicely between your legs whilst you sit. They are a little more vulnerable to the wind. But I have worn them while on rock hunting trips where I hiked miles, and they worked mighty fine.
    "Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord....." Psalm 33:12

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Norm For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ripstop kilt

I have found :Scottish kilt collection.com
    They have a kilt that looks exactly Like the 5.11 Tactical kilt.
    I have the 5.11 Tactical kilt now for 4 years and maybe it is not a "real" kilt I like it for what it is.
    I am thinking about trying it out.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a note - Scottish Kilt Collection are one of those companies reselling products made in Pakistan and are well known for lifting random photos off the internet and using them. The photos are not usually of their products.

Case in point - They currently are using a photo lifted off X Marks of one of our members in his Utilikilt as the photo for their utility style kilts.

So buyer beware.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

13. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post: