X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY Rob Roy Style Sporran help

I am still researching the Kilt I am going to buy, but I am also researching Sporrans. There is a lot of variations out there! Since I will be wearing my kilt to the renaissance festival I wanted to get a more hand made looking one like the Rob Roy. I actually found this one (https://www.etsy.com/listing/2161642...f=user_profile) I was thinking about getting, but my wife is giving me a hard time about spending money. The kilt I am looking at should cost me about $80, the belt and buckle will run me up another $30, then with the sporran being $72 (without straps), and straps for another $10-20....this is really adding up. This doesnt even include, socks, shoes, and all that other stuff. So all said and done, it is getting up their in cost.

Anyhow...I had a few questions about making a sporran. Where can I get a Rob Roy sporran pattern?

Where should I buy the leather?

And is there any youtube video tutorials you all would recommend?

OR should i just skip all the work and buy the sporran without the wife's consent lol.

Also, I'm up to buy used ones people have for sale!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye here - you may get good answers, you may get a "4 sale". Watch E-Bay too; you may have some luck there.

Kilting isn't cheap. Kilting in a way that looks decent and is respectable, even less so. General advice: wait, save up, and buy quality after you've done your research and know what you want to live with for decades to come. Better to go and look about in yer troosers than invest in something you'll hate next year.

For some ideas, take a look at this thread: http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/ and then just keep scanning the forum. You'll get lots of perspective over time, but don't waste money on trying to go fast and cheap. It doesn't usually work well.

Good luck, and enjoy!
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A simple sporran can be surprisingly easy to make. Here's some possible motivation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4tCfUVyvEM

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Taskr For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I whole heartily second Father Bill, don't go cheap, you will probably be unhappy with that choice quickly.

Also a thanks to Taskr for sharing my video!

To the point of making your own sporran. If you thought is that it will be cheaper than buying one, it isn't if you do it right. The next questions are, do you like making things? Also, do you make things a lot? If you your answer is no to one or both of these questions, I'd save my money, my time, materials and buy a well made sporran. Yes, anybody can make a sporran, but results of DIY accessories vary greatly from person to person depending on skill, time, materials and effort put into making said sporran. My comments are not meant to discourage anyone from trying to make a sporran. In fact I would encourage it. If nothing else it will give you an appreciation for what it takes to make a really nice sporran that you would be proud to wear. I'm just saying think about what your reasons are for wanting to make your own.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to hylander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Taskr View Post
    A simple sporran can be surprisingly easy to make. Here's some possible motivation
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4tCfUVyvEM
    Great video! I'm going to have to watch that a few times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hylander View Post
    I whole heartily second Father Bill, don't go cheap, you will probably be unhappy with that choice quickly.

Also a thanks to Taskr for sharing my video!

To the point of making your own sporran. If you thought is that it will be cheaper than buying one, it isn't if you do it right. The next questions are, do you like making things? Also, do you make things a lot? If you your answer is no to one or both of these questions, I'd save my money, my time, materials and buy a well made sporran. Yes, anybody can make a sporran, but results of DIY accessories vary greatly from person to person depending on skill, time, materials and effort put into making said sporran. My comments are not meant to discourage anyone from trying to make a sporran. In fact I would encourage it. If nothing else it will give you an appreciation for what it takes to make a really nice sporran that you would be proud to wear. I'm just saying think about what your reasons are for wanting to make your own.
    That's a really good and thorough video. Thanks for taking the time and explaining everything in detail.

I didn't think it would be cheaper to make my own sporran. But the satisfactions of doing it myself is always better then making the purchase. To name a few hobbies I have...... I like to brew beer, grow peppers to make my own hot sauce, woodworking, and a little beekeeping on the side. I can't say I do them all at once, but they certainly do keep me busy. I find myself jumping head first into a lot of hobbies and this wouldn't be any different.

I think my wife has the majority of the tools I would need to put it together, so that's a plus when it comes to the cost. I actually bought a box of old tools and it appeared to have a few leather working tools in it. I might have to post some pictures because some of the tools I have never seen before and cant figure out what they are for (Other then possible leather working). There is a few things I'll need to purchase though.

I think I'll end up purchasing a sporran before the next event, because to make the sporran right...its going to take some time. I never like doing anything half ****. So, I guess I'll keep watching videos and doing research before I buy all my materials.

Hylander, how did you get into working with leather? I checked out your work and your sporrans look amazing! Far better then the ones I have been looking at.

Thanks again for the helpful info!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you like the sporrans!

Good plan to go ahead and get a sporran now, and move into sporran making gradually.

I've been making things since I was about 5 and have continued through an Art degree and beyond. My way into leather working started when I purchased my first kilt. I couldn't find a Rob Roy sporran that I liked at that time, so my thought was "I'll just make one". Well that led to a slippery slope, because each sporran led to another one, and another and on and on. It got the point that the wife said that if I was going to keep doing this I needed to start selling them because I just didn't need that many (WHAAAAT?), and to justify the money I was spending on materials tools, etc, and she had a point. As I was approaching retirement (still about ten years away at that point), it seemed like leather work could be a possible supplement to retirement. Yet another slippery slope, yikes. That's the short version, and I do love leather work, so I highly recommend giving it a try. For first try it doesn't really take a lot in the way of some basic tools and materials. If you have a Tandy leather shop anywhere near you, I'd suggest a visit. I think it's always better to see what you are buying when buying leather and there are usually folks at Tandy that do leatherwork and can be a good resource for getting started. You can get good leather on eBay, but you need to learn what you are looking for and have an idea of what is a good price and what isn't, and what leather thickness and types refer to and their various uses. Tools are an easier pick online and generally you can find better prices and the unusual tools that just aren't made anymore. Also they are lots folks with very good leatherworking videos on YouTube, down to very specific processes, sewing, dyeing, braiding and more. I have 4 videos up, although they weren't necessarily intended as "how-to" videos as much as "this is what it takes to make a sporran", for folks that aren't aware of what it takes to make a anything that is handmade. There is also an old Scottish video, from the 50's I think, that of a sporran maker building a day wear sporran beginning to end. It's probably linked here on XMarks somewhere, but I can post a link anyway.

That's neat you going to give a try! Have fun!
    Last edited by hylander; 9th August 18 at 09:15 AM.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to hylander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the link to old video:

https://vimeo.com/21021027

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to hylander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a pattern I have used several times.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n9...NRLlamOU5eRfjA

And here is a picture of one I made for a friend IMAG0307.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madadh View Post
    This is a pattern I have used several times.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1n9...NRLlamOU5eRfjA

And here is a picture of one I made for a friend IMAG0307.jpg
    WOW! that looks really great. That pdf is exactly what I needed to get started too. I like the idea of going to the thrift store for leather. Pretty smart. I'll have to check it out and see if there is any worth while stuff to practice with.

Where do you get your leather? Also, I have been looking at leather and different weights. I'm looking on ebay mostly. What would be the best weight of the leather for the carrying portion for the bag? Then what would be the best weight for the lid part.

Links to products would be much appreciated!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast