X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Royal Military Tattoo: Anyone going? Any advice? (Update: back, with pictures)

Greetings Rabble,

my wife and I will be off to Edingburgh on Sunday for a short birthday Tattoo & Fringe trip. We've booked a package with a castle dinner before we watch the show.

Do any of you past visitors to the Tattoo have any advice or helpful hints?

Cheers,
    Octo
    Last edited by Octobrachium; 17th August 18 at 11:26 AM. Reason: back, with pictures

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wrap up warmly(take at least a thin pullover/sweater) and always expect rain and if by some good fortune it does not rain, then use your coats as cushions.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 9th August 18 at 12:32 AM. Reason: added an afterthought
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

3. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Always wanted to go the Tattoo, but we get a mini one in Belfast now at least. There is a mini free performance at the end at the top of the Royal Mile when the massed bands march out into the street, preceded by the fireworks.

For the Fringe the newspaper reviews how a listing of some of the best shows to see. Comedy shows are often booked well ahead but you can usually get tickets for the best plays and shows.

5. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to John_Carrick For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I went five or six years ago and while rain threatened it didn't eventuate. Casual dress is de rigueur for the majority of spectators as seen in the photo below.

7. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Bruce Scott For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Wrap up warmly(take at least a thin pullover/sweater) and always expect rain and if by some good fortune it does not rain, then use your coats as cushions.
    Couldn't agree more! The Tattoo will go on regardless of the weather. We've found it cool the few times we've been, if not downright chilly. Spectators dress casually and comfortably. You'll see some kilts, but more the exception than the rule.
    Virginia Commissioner, Elliot Clan Society, USA
    Adjutant, 1745 Appin Stewart Regiment
    Scottish-American Military Society
    US Marine (1970-1999)

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Sir William For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
    Couldn't agree more! The Tattoo will go on regardless of the weather. We've found it cool the few times we've been, if not downright chilly. Spectators dress casually and comfortably. You'll see some kilts, but more the exception than the rule.
    I agree but wear your kilt if you wish - I do! If it looks like rain buy a "pancho" which will help keep you warm as well! Above all enjoy it!

Peter

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Peter Lowe For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir William View Post
    It's chilly even in August? Living in Hawaii and being born and raised in Mississippi, I'm used to it being sweltering in August. I can't imagine chilly weather in August. I've always assumed that the notion of the UK being perpetually cold and wet was just people over stating the reality, but perhaps I need to reevaluate my position.
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor wretched souls who know neither victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt
    "Today is your victory over yourself of yesterday; tomorrow is your victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi

13. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Bluethunder90 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A spot of re-evaluation might be in order. Although our idea of hot might not mesh with yours. This years summer is an exception and we have had temperatures reach into the 90's and even the nights have been, even for us warm on occasion, but as a general rule as Edinburgh is right by the North Sea the cold sea breeze at night, even in the summer, is the norm.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

15. The Following 7 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just came back from a month long trip to Scotland. The high trmperatures there were hovering around 70- 73 degrees F and there was a drought. We saw rain on the next to the last day of our trip. Being from Louisiana, where temperatures are typically in the 90-105 F range with very high humidity, Scotland felt heavenly. Now I know that the dry weather isn't the norm, but I have to agree with Jock that our ideas in the southern U.S. about weather and someone from Edinburgh may not mesh. People in Edinburgh looked like they were melting in 73F (and the tar roads were literally liquifying), but it felt like I was at home in the air conditioning.

I can not even begin to express how envious I am that you will be attending the Military Tattoo. I will have to wait until I retire to witness the event because I am a teacher. The event is scheduled right when I head back to work each year. It is surely on my bucket list.

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Curtis Bias For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We didnt see air conditioners installed in any places we stayed in Scotland. We just opened the windows and let the breeze blow through. I didnt see mosquitoes like I do back home, but the were some midges out in the country. Buy a container of Smidge and spray down if you head out into the countryside. If you are staying in Edinburgh, I dont believe that the little bugs will be a problem.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast