X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warning for abuse in the Pub

so let me ask you guys about this . let me set the Sean for you and tell me if you think its an over reaction.

So im in a public place a pub !! were people can over hear what your saying even if your not directly replying or talking to them.
    So a friend asks me a question about a speeding fine , got by a police camera at the side of the road with a speed gun he was doing 43 mph in a 40 mph road . He used the word most commonly used to describe the Police a 3 letter word I that's a farm animal I wont use it her as don't want to offend any one LOL .

So a person in the pub over hears this and complains to the land lord about the use of this word the land lord has a meeting about it with all the staff disuses it and debates the use of this word in conversation . so the next day my friend is back in the pub having a drink and the landlord comes over and says he is warning him not to use this word in his pub and if any one over hears him saying anything that they don't like about any subject at all he will be no longer welcome in the pub .

So now as this is the best pub in the village and as any one can take offence at any thing really even if its not directed at them and only over heard he will be asked to leave . Hes now worried to say anything for fear of offence. God forbid he mention something about his Ex wife and some women over hears him and complains.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The landlord is quite right! I think that there is a time and place for "robust" language and on occasion, for example certain work places. I have known some pretty "robust" language on the farm and on the parade ground in my time, I have even been on the receiving end of some of it! But, where the general public are concerned then there is no need whatsoever for them to hear that sort of language. We must also remember that in the UK that the Landlord of a public house(pub) is responsible for keeping an orderly establishment by law, it is, also, in his financial interests to keep an establishment that is welcoming for all his customers. Discretion in a public place is the watchword and knowing when to moderate one's language is part of that. What is said at home, or even at some work places, is another matter entirely.

Just my opinion, for what it is worth.
    Last edited by Jock Scot; 16th February 15 at 08:46 AM.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jock Scot View Post
    Just my opinion, for what it is worth.
    ... and mine too.
    Rev'd Father Bill White: Retired Parish Priest & Elementary Headmaster. Lover of God, dogs, most people, joy, tradition, humour & clarity. Legion Padre, theologian, teacher, philosopher, linguist, encourager of hearts & souls & a firm believer in dignity, decency, & duty. A proud Canadian Sinclair.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Father Bill For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Father Bill View Post
    ... and mine too.
    And mine .... if your friend wants to talk like that in his home, that is one thing...but in a public place, well courtesy and good taste should prevail. The landlord was well within his rights and I applaud his stand.

6. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Terry1948 For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bare in mined he only said the word 1 time to me not loud or abusive just in conversation no swearing or abuse was used nore was there any shouting just a got a ticket from a *** with a hand held camera today. That's in pub of shouting people drinking and carrying on not some quiet establishment were he was shouting about it . Just in idle conversation 1 person to another in a busey pub . suppose your talking to your mate and said my eldest brither you know the one the slap head not the long heard one called in to day . and some bold bloke took offence would that be ok .

Talk about a nanny state . were would it end . my mats got real big feet they are like a yeti . some bloke with large feet takes offence . mate my dads so tall he's like jolly green giant I mean im tall at 6.1 but hes like 6.7 I recon my son will be tall as well bigger then me more like his grand dad . some tall bloke takes offence and complains . is that ok as well .

Non meant as an insult not shouted out just 1 person to another in a busy pub having an idle conversation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norbo, all your friend has to do is behave like a mature adult, and he won`t need to worry about getting the boot from anywhere. Perhaps your friend should come up with a slightly more respectful euphemism to use when referring to police.

9. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to Dughlas mor For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norbo.

People, the public, within earshot of a conversation have rights too, they are sometimes included whether they like it, or not . They do not have to hear it and that is the point that the landlord is making. He is not saying that anyone cannot have a particular conversation, what he is saying that the conversation is not going to happen where he has any say in the matter, HIS pub,if others can hear it, and some one obviously did. That is why these conversations are best kept away from the public, at home.
    " Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the adherence of idle minds and minor tyrants". Field Marshal Lord Slim.

11. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Jock Scot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was amazed any one even over heard him in the pub as there had already been a fight that night by 2 drunken men arguing about foot ball .
    I mean is no different to a lady sitting with here kids at a table eating and she terns to one and says for God sake will you sit still please your getting more food on the floor and table then in your mouth be more like your sister wont you . And some religious person complains about here use of the word God, the restaurant owner tells her she is not welcome in the place again using that kind of language as a patron was offended. that's ok as well is it .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the thread about how a pub that would not allow a member in side wearing his kilts as its inappropriate dress that's ok and you back that do you . people were out raged but the principle is the same its his pub and he can do what he likes as people may be offended by a man in a kilt . if your going down that root you have to except everything even this. I just hate hypocrisy and injustice and I hate it .

There will come a time you wont be able to have any conversation without some one from some walk of life being offended. weather it be about big feet bold heads or me ever increasing waste line ginger hear to tall to small to thin its to wet and cold in the UK well im offended by that comment throw the bloke out talking about the uk in that manner . . the world has gone mad

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your example is not equivalent, it is very different. But that is not the point. If someone uses an intentionally offensive word, they shouldn't be surprised if they cause offense. Your friend does know the word is offensive, right? So he probably shouldn't be surprised by the reaction he caused.
    My guess is that the landlord asked him to refrain from name calling, e.g. known offensive language, not all potentially offensive language.

15. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to NYClark For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast