X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rob Roy Way

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    Ok,thank you Zenhas,it makes a little more sense now. I guess it's like a border or fence, but it looks a little strange to me.
    I still don't understand what the headstone inscription could mean though.
    It became illegal to use the name MacGregor. By putting his own name on his headstone, he was defying the king's orders. He is saying
    in death "You can do all manner of ill to me and my family, but MacGregor is still my name despite all effort to the contrary.".

http://www.clangregor.com/about-us/history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Gregor

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to tripleblessed For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 008kilts View Post
    Zenhas,
    Could you provide more details of you Rob Roy trip? Sounds very enjoyable. We you camp or pub to pub?
    008kilts
    Here I give you a few words about our hike as promissed.

I took my inspiration on Walkhighlands website. I use it as very first source when plan my trips to Scotland.

WH describe Rob Roy Way from Drymen to Pitlochry. Due to better times to fly from/to Scotland, we went that opposite way from Pitlochry to Drymen.
    We arrived in Edinburgh airport and then catched evening train from Waverley station to Pitlochry where the real journey started.
    Planning was very relaxed, we didn't directly follow daily stages as described on WH. Our daily hike was from about 12 to 18 km approximately.
    If there was any good place to stay, we finished the day and camp there. No previously arranged accomodation. Just tent.
    To be correct, there were a few days, when good site for camping was difficult to find. Most forests in the area don't allow to build a tent.
    There is no appropriate flat place for that. There is also not easy to camp in the hills. Surface is so juicy.
    Sit down and rest is nearly impossible. Especially when the rain is comming down or stopped few hours ago.

When we arrived to any town or village, where food store was open,
    we bought some food (mostly potatoes and canned Haggis , bread, milk ...etc. ) and beer also.
    Every guy in group carried about 2-3 l of water in the camelbag for emergency reasons. Normally we used water from lochs and streams.
    Water was filtered with Sawyer filter and/or boiled before use. Noone had any health problems according to water usage.

We hiked ten days. Last night on Rob Roy Way we spent in the only campsite near to Drymen.
    It's very small and simple. Just grass place for the tents, toilets and shower in the metal hut near to farm. A lot of people walking West Highland Way camp here also. WHW is crossing RRW near to Drymen.

We finished earlier than we expected, so we extended our trip to Balloch, where we catched
    the train to Glasgow. We followed the John Muir Way from Drymen to Balloch. It was terrible path. Our feet suffered on asphalt surface.

I flew home from Glasgow airport 14 days after the arrival.

We visited a few pubs also. The best was Falls of Dochart Inn in Killin from my perspective. It has great ancient feel.
    Another good pubs was the Forth Inn in Aberfoyle. Guy from cycle repair shop recommended it as it has the best beer in town.
    At Drymen, we didn't miss opportunity to visit the oldest licensed pub in Scotland. Clachan Inn. To be honest, there are other pubs,
    which have a better atmosphere.

During the trip I hiked about 180 km in 12 days whith 22 kg backpack on my back.
    Rob Roy Way mostly follow National cycle path no. 7. but it's not well marked on several places. One can easily loose his way. It is better
    to have maps and compass.
    Rob Roy grave is not directly on the path. If you wanna see it, you must turn near Kinghouse and go about 3 km to Balquihidder where Old Kirk with a grave is located.
    I think, it worth to see it. Go down to the village also. There is very nice view to Loch Voil and the glen itself.

If you are interested in any details or other aspects, let me know.

4. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to zenhas For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12