X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wedding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wedding

anyone have tips on what to wear with a kilt to a wedding ? I bought a beautiful Black Watch kilt a year ago at Highland games in Lincoln NH. thinking about wearing it to my nephews wedding next September. what else do i need to get to wear with it ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kilt-specific stuff you should consider:

Sporran
    Hose (the high-socks)
    Flashes (hold the socks up)

Non-specific items:
    Dress shoes or a nice pair of boots will do fine for your feet.
    An off-the rack vest from a department store should be fine, but if you want a jacket, you'll need to look into something kilt-specific, saxon style jackets just look really off with a kilt. If the event is black-tie, you should go with a Prince Charlie (PC) jacket and vest.
    Shirt and neck/bow tie to fit your taste/style, but nothing kilt specific.
    Last edited by Jumpmonkey; 12th August 18 at 01:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on the level of formality of the festivities. Daytime casual wear? Black tie? Daytime formal? At the very least you'll need dress shoes, kilt hose and garters, a sporran (What kind depends on dress code), and shirt and tie. The rest will depend on on formality. Can you provide more info so that we can better help?

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should look at the 1 kilt 10 looks thread take a look at the higher photos 4 and up for ideas depending on the formality of the event of course.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...-attire-46888/

5. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Double post So I thought I would show you what I wore to my nephews wedding a few years ago. The first photo is my nephew his bride and myself, I had just presented him with the sgian dubh

Me putting it properly in his hose

Us

Last edited by McMurdo; 12th August 18 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Double post

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This what I wore to a wedding last Summer.

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Liam For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure that Jock will weight in. I'm not a fan of a Prince Charlie or any other evening jacket for a weddingm unless of course it's in the evening. Those in Saxon (non-Highland) clothes won't be dressed like Fred Astaire, in all probability they will be wearing a Lounge Suit at most. A good tweed jacket (I prefer a waistcoat too) is more in keeping with the level of day-wear formality.

At my daughter's wedding last year.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FOTB3-photosbyzoe-8.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	338.9 KB 
ID:	34782

11. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    I'm sure that Jock will weight in. I'm not a fan of a Prince Charlie or any other evening jacket for a weddingm unless of course it's in the evening. Those in Saxon (non-Highland) clothes won't be dressed like Fred Astaire, in all probability they will be wearing a Lounge Suit at most. A good tweed jacket (I prefer a waistcoat too) is more in keeping with the level of day-wear formality.
    You have to remember that things are different in the US. Most American weddings take place during the day, and feature men in tuxedos. So while some may consider it incorrect to don what they consider evening wear for a daytime event, it's nonetheless the norm here.

Unless the invitation indicates a specific level of formality, I'd suggest wearing something other than a PC jacket. I've only been to a handful of weddings, but I recall that typically only the groom and groomsmen wear tuxedos, while the male guests just wear suits. I have both a black Argyll and a tweed Braemar, and I admit, choosing one jacket over the other for a wedding would depend less on the time of day and implied level of formality, and more on simply which one I'm in the mood to wear. And I tend to favor the Braemar, if only because the tweed is just more interesting to me than black barathea...not unlike choosing a tartan kilt over plain old slacks.

That said, if you're only going to have one jacket, then an Argyll would be the most versatile. And whichever type you choose, if you're worried about spending too much but would rather not resort to cheaper Pakistani goods, know there are often deals to be found in ex-hire jackets.

13. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There really just isn't any way to competently answer this question without knowing the level of formality (or expectations of the wedding party) and time of day of the wedding. A formal get-up, or even a tweed jacket, could be overkill if it's a casual beach wedding in the morning. Since this is a nephew's wedding, will you be part of the groom's party, or simply an invited guest? Will you be wearing the same outfit to a reception afterwards that perhaps goes into the evening? What will be the expected weather in your location for September?

15. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollander View Post
    You have to remember that things are different in the US. Most American weddings take place during the day, and feature men in tuxedos. So while some may consider it incorrect to don what they consider evening wear for a daytime event, it's nonetheless the norm here.

Unless the invitation indicates a specific level of formality, I'd suggest wearing something other than a PC jacket. I've only been to a handful of weddings, but I recall that typically only the groom and groomsmen wear tuxedos, while the male guests just wear suits. I have both a black Argyll and a tweed Braemar, and I admit, choosing one jacket over the other for a wedding would depend less on the time of day and implied level of formality, and more on simply which one I'm in the mood to wear. And I tend to favor the Braemar, if only because the tweed is just more interesting to me than black barathea...not unlike choosing a tartan kilt over plain old slacks.

That said, if you're only going to have one jacket, then an Argyll would be the most versatile. And whichever type you choose, if you're worried about spending too much but would rather not resort to cheaper Pakistani goods, know there are often deals to be found in ex-hire jackets.

I respectfully disagree with your assertion that at most weddings here in the US most men wear tuxedos. I'm M.C. at our church and there are dozens of weddings a year that I attend and I'd have to say that actual tuxedos are a rarity. Occasionally the wedding party will wear them, but more and more these days they wear a really nice suit or 3 piece suit. I have only seen 1 wedding in the past three years which was black tie for all attending and it was a late afternoon wedding with an evening reception at a very fancy country club. Other weddings that I attend as a guest are much the same.

But as you suggest, let the invitation be your guide.

CTB
    President, Clan Buchanan Society International

17. The Following User Says 'Aye' to ctbuchanan For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast