X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Argylls Sr Sgt sporrans

Yet another arcane Victorian military subject from myself!

All of us who follow the British military uniforms know that in the 93rd Highlanders (pre-1881) and in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders (post-1881) the Other Ranks wore a black sporran with six white tassels and plain brass rim (no cantle per se) while Sergeants and Officers wore a badger sporran.

And the pipers wore a brown-grey sporran with distinctive silver cantle.

Here:

There was yet a fourth sporran design worn in the regiment, worn by certain senior Sergeants, here seen worn by the Pipe Major and Drum Major:

And not just by those musical gents, but also by the Colour-Sergeant (who looks quite like the Drum Major!)

Here's an early portrait of the Pipe Major of the 93rd showing this sporran; note the interesting shades of the "Sutherland" tartan, the blue appears to be rather pale

Here's the best photo I've found so far showing this sporran, and also the distinctive 93rd Highlanders pipers' crossbelt tip with crown, worn by the Pipe Major of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, probably the 2nd Battalion, which continued in the main to wear the uniform of the old 93rd Highlanders.

Here's a closeup of the photo above, the best detail I've found. If anyone can post a photo of this sporran, or of the crossbelt tip, I would very much appreciate it.

This is the other form of senior Sergeants sporran that ended up prevailing in the Argylls and was worn by the Pipe Major and Drum Major until the recent disbandment of the Pipes & Drums.

He is also wearing the Boar's Head badge on his crossbelt which also survived until recently in the Argylls.

I believe that this indicates 1st Battalion A&SH which evidently continued certain elements of the old 91st Highlanders.

Here are what I'm told are 91st Highlanders collar badges (top) and 93rd Highlanders collar badges (bottom)

This early photo of a piper of the A&SH shows the continuation of the old pipers' sporrans of the 91st Highlanders; I think the dirk belt plate and sporran cantle bear a boar's head.

Here's this sporran worn in the pre-1881 91st Highlanders

Last edited by OC Richard; 14th August 18 at 03:34 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

2. The Following 9 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Here's an early portrait of the Pipe Major of the 93rd showing this sporran; note the interesting shades of the "Sutherland" tartan, the blue appears to be rather pale

The drape of the plaid looks as though the material may have been older cloth of the type woven by Wilsons (the kilt appears to be the same cloth) in which case the lighter shades would not be unsurprising as their 42nd/93rd/Grant/Campbell/Munro tartan was woven with a lighter (naturally dyed) green. Here's an example c1810-15.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilsons' 42nd - 1810.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	480.8 KB 
ID:	34808
    Last edited by figheadair; 15th August 18 at 05:12 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Y
    There was yet a fourth sporran design worn in the regiment, worn by certain senior Sergeants, here seen worn by the Pipe Major and Drum Major:

And not just by those musical gents, but also by the Colour-Sergeant (who looks quite like the Drum Major!)

I think, Drum-Major (first photo on the left) and "Colour-Sergeant" on second photo is the same person , this time in feather bonnet, not in the glengarry

full photo with 2 real Colour-Sergeants below. So I believe it's 2/A&SH Drum Major in the middle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ndASH.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	34812
    Last edited by blackwatch70; 16th August 18 at 12:24 AM.