X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you mean to say something else? You just quoted me.[/QUOTE]

He answered your questions. Look:

(1) - Balmoral or Glengarry? Balmoral

(2) - Tartan, diced or plain? Diced
    (2a) - What colour? Navy
    (2b) - What dicing colour? Navy
    (2c) - What tartan?
    (2d) - What toorie colour? Navy
    Last edited by Arnot; 20th August 18 at 04:59 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like Balmorals and Tams. I have a maroon Balmoral with maroon and white dicing and a matching toorie. I also have a black Balmoral with red toorie and red, black, and white dicing.

Although Peter will not approve, I do have a Tam in the same tartan as my kilt, although I generally only wear it when the weather is too hot for the Balmorals. For running races in my Sport Kilt, I made a lightweight Tam using a terrycloth sweatband and some tartan-printed cotton cloth. It is definitely a costume item, but it does a good job protecting my head on race days.

In warm, sunny weather, I often sport a pith helmet with my kilt. I own a Tilley and many straw hats, but generally don't wear them kilted.

In my kilt bag, I also have a Royal Stewart Glengarry which my aunt bought when she visited Scotland in the late 1950s. Which makes it authentic tourist wear, although of a higher quality than you might find at tat shops today. However, it is too small for my head, so it is just a keepsake.

Andrew
    Last edited by kingandrew; 20th August 18 at 05:01 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a civilian, the only Scottish-style headwear I think looks appropriate for me is a Balmoral. I have three of them: a fawn-coloured one from glengarryhats.com, a Lovat green one from Robert Mackie, and a blue one (I would call it royal blue) with blue/white dicing and a grey toorie that was hand-knitted by a member here.

I just can't bring myself to wear a Glengarry. I come from a US Air Force family; my grandfather was a Colonel, and my father was a Lt. Col. I spent too much time on military bases seeing them wear their garrison caps or flight caps for me to ever see that shape of hat as a civilian style. When I see a Glengarry with a clan badge on the side, it reminds me of the hats worn by military veterans where they decorate them with patches and mini-medals. I'm not saying a Glengarry isn't a valid choice as Scottish civilian headwear, but my personal upbringing makes me shy away from that shape of hat since I associate it with a military style hat. And even if I didn't, it's just not a very practical choice of headwear in terms of warmth in the cold, shade in the summer, or protection from rain.

There are only a couple of months out of the year where the weather in Texas accommodates authentic Scottish-style headwear. It's just too hot and sunny to put wool on your head. A Tilley hat seems to be the most practical choice in the warm months.

4. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had tweed and hodden grey copies of my military TOS made, which are my normal kilted headress. For more formal occasions I'll wear a plain blue black Glen Garry. I'd like to get a shallower one as I find the current style of deep hats disagreeable.

If its sunny and I nned protection then I'll wear a Tilly and if its raining a leather hat. I was given a kangaroo leather one years ago and its still going strong.
    The 'Eathen in his idleness bows down to wood and stone,
    'E don't obey no orders unless they is his own,
    He keeps his side arms awful,
    And he leaves them all about,
    Until up comes the Regiment and kicks the 'Eathen out.

From Michigan, USA. Currently in Lancashire, UK
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Egg View Post
    For more formal occasions I'll wear a plain blue black Glen Garry. I'd like to get a shallower one as I find the current style of deep hats disagreeable.
    Robert Mackie could probably do this for you. They have done things like this before and are easy to work with.

7. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Arnot For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with Tobus' assessment that it's generally too hot for traditional Scottish headwear in Texas. On those occasions when it's practicable, I have three Robert Mackie Balmorals (a fawn with fawn/white dicing, brown with brown/white dicing and bottle green without dicing).

I'll have to see if I can find a image with the bottle green bonnet... It gets worn less often than the others.

SM
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

9. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaunMaxwell View Post
    I agree with Tobus' assessment that it's generally too hot for traditional Scottish headwear in Texas. On those occasions when it's practicable, I have three Robert Mackie Balmorals (a fawn with fawn/white dicing, brown with brown/white dicing and bottle green without dicing).

I'll have to see if I can find a image with the bottle green bonnet... It gets worn less often than the others.

SM
    If I was an American Scot I would be very tempted to wear a cowboy hat. It is culturally appropriate and keeps the sun off your head or the water out of your eyes. I’d probably wear it with the brim down at the front and back rather than curled up at the sides.
    The 'Eathen in his idleness bows down to wood and stone,
    'E don't obey no orders unless they is his own,
    He keeps his side arms awful,
    And he leaves them all about,
    Until up comes the Regiment and kicks the 'Eathen out.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Egg View Post
    If I was an American Scot I would be very tempted to wear a cowboy hat. It is culturally appropriate and keeps the sun off your head or the water out of your eyes. I’d probably wear it with the brim down at the front and back rather than curled up at the sides.
    It might be effective, but mixing the two, in my opinion, is something best avoided.

http://www.xmarksthescot.com/forum/f...y-kilts-71642/
    Shaun Maxwell
    Vice President & Texas Commissioner
    Clan Maxwell Society

12. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to ShaunMaxwell For This Useful Post:

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal preference -

If I am serving in an official X Marks capacity I will wear my bonnet with dandelion and X Marks cap badge.

If it is raining or I need to keep my head warm I will often wear a fedora.

If it is hot out, or I am going to be in the sun, I will sometimes wear a pith helmet.

But 99% of the time I do not wear a hat with my kilts.

Weather and not what is "right" or "wrong" is my biggest consideration when choosing headwear.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

14. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to Steve Ashton For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tam

I just got my brown Outlander style tam and I like it. Unfortunately, I won't be wearing it much until it gets cooler, as it keeps the noggin quite warm. I will wear it all the time in the winter. In the mean time, I wear a grey tweed-like flat cap most of the time.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast