X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post

The kilts SFU wore for decades

Their new kilts

Surely the other way around?

The kilts SFU wore for decades

Their new kilts

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Surely the other way around?
    The kilts in the straightforward "ancient colours" with red-orange, pastel blue, and pastel green were AFAIK their original kilts which they've worn since the founding of the modern band in the early 1980s.

The kilts with the dark blue were adopted in 2010.
    Last edited by OC Richard; 21st August 18 at 05:07 AM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, so the sett? The photo is not clear enough and the 'new' one looks like a different sett.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just for clarity -

When I reference the 78th Fraser Highlanders I am speaking specifically about this group -

Headquartered in Montreal, Quebec Canada with garrisons across Canada and the US.

Freedom Kilts is the kiltmaker to the Vancouver and Victoria Garrisons.

https://www.78thfrasers.org/
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Ah, so the sett? The photo is not clear enough and the 'new' one looks like a different sett.
    I can't find the article that appeared in the SFU newspaper in 2010 when the new tartan was introduced, but as I recall they said that the only change was in the shade of blue.

And I think the article mentioned which mill they had worked with to produce the new colour-scheme, but I can't remember which mill it was.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    I can't find the article that appeared in the SFU newspaper in 2010 when the new tartan was introduced, but as I recall they said that the only change was in the shade of blue.

And I think the article mentioned which mill they had worked with to produce the new colour-scheme, but I can't remember which mill it was.
    Thanks for clearing that up. Not a new tartan then but a new version of their Fraser, the colours look like Lochcarron's. I'm not a fan of this colouration which appear to be 'Old Colours' more or less. The uniform paler shades do nothing for the pattern IMO. Why or why didn't they go back to basics and get Wilsons' original shades matched. Here are two pieces of their cloth from the Highland Society of London's collection c1816-20.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HSL -  Wilsons' Fraser settings.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	34911

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wilson's colours, at least the few I've seen, are universally better than what I see woven nowadays.

SFU took the Fraser in "ancient colours" they had long worn and changed the pastel "ancient blue" to the dark "modern blue" leaving the rest the same (red-orange and seafoam green). At least that's my impression from the 2010 article and the appearance of the kilts.

And the 78th Fraser Highlanders, who also wore Fraser in "ancient colours", had theirs woven with "modern" dark blue and dark green but retained the red-orange of the "ancient" colours.

Bands order their tartan by the bolt anyhow, they might as well adjust the colours to suit themselves.

But somebody seeing these bands' current kilts might not realise that they're mere colour-variants of the same tartan.

Last edited by OC Richard; 24th August 18 at 08:56 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I didn't think about this video earlier - it is an interview with the kiltmaker for the SFU band talking about their new kilts. I hope this helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddYrBy_vA3s

9. The Following User Says 'Aye' to plaid preacher For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that!

I don't think they ever state there which mill wove the cloth, but we know who made the kilts!

They do have a link to the article I was referencing, but when I click on the link I get directed to another place. It's the same runaround I got when I was searching that SFU site.

I think you have to be a student or faculty at SFU to access some of the archived articles.

11. The Following User Says 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems that ADJ kilt makers, that made the SFU pipe band kilts, went out of business, in 2013
    waulk softly and carry a big schtick

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast