X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dating a military kilt

Hello all,

I’ve acquired a vintage Royal Scots hunting Stewart tartan military kilt and I was wondering if it was either a) very old, circa WWI or b) an Officer’s kilt. It has been professionally altered but a very long time ago. The alteration has decreased the waist and added 3 strap fastenings. It has no label or WD stamp but all the signs of being a genuine military kilt with its high waist and heavy wool.

The wool though is very flat and soft to the touch, like felt, and not at all like the other military kilts I have from the 1950s-70s. These are like course blankets in comparison.

I’ve tried to upload photos today, perhaps the site is having issues? I’ll persevere but in the meantime, does anyone have any tips for identifying a WWI vs WWII kilt or an Other Ranks vs Officer’s kilt (other than obvious rosettes etc).

Look forward to hearing from some experts among you!

Cheers,
    Jags

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without any contract info, on a tag, it is going to be rather hard to date.

That's my good answer,

When I saw this thread title a whole lot of bad answers sprang to mind, things like "Don't get attached to a military kilt, it will get deployed and you will never hear from it again" and such

3. The Following 4 Users say 'Aye' to Luke MacGillie For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not dating a military kilt!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke MacGillie View Post
    Without any contract info, on a tag, it is going to be rather hard to date.

That's my good answer,

When I saw this thread title a whole lot of bad answers sprang to mind, things like "Don't get attached to a military kilt, it will get deployed and you will never hear from it again" and such
    That made me laugh! My other half thinks I’ve got something going with my A&SH badger sporran though! That’s the love of my life 😍

5. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jags For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As has been said before, dating a military kilt can be very difficult without labels of some kind. They span so many years and so many units that it becomes very difficult to pin one down to a particular time period or even a particular maker

As a Regimental kiltmaker I can tell you factually that there is no one standard kilt or even one standard within one unit.
    The problem is that kilts themselves are not standard. Unlike some other military systems it is often up to the current RSM to set the uniform standards during his term.
    An RSM may change or alter the standards from the previous RSM.
    Kiltmakers change too. Sometimes a unit will have a resident kiltmaker and sometimes they are on contract. Sometimes there is a large contract that may cover many units and the maker is centralized and sometimes each unit will have their own contract with a local or civilian maker.

We can sometimes get a general time frame from the fabric or the fittings such as straps an/or buckles. The internal construction will often give good clues but that is not always accessible unless you remove the kilt liner.

It is quite common for Officers to buy their uniforms themselves and may choose their own tailors and kiltmakers.

Add to this that many kilts are part of the unit stores and may be issued to different troops over their life. One time the kilt may be worn by an Enlisted member, another time by an NCO. Rosettes can be mounted and removed.

Some units have a standard for the outer apron fringe. i.e. Enlisted would have no fringe and NCO's and/or Officers would have a fringe but this is not the same everywhere.

Then add to all of this confusion that the life of a kilt can be a decade or more. Not everyone is careful with their clothing. Garments may be damaged and need repair. I'm sorry but it is common for some very horrid repairs to be seen on some kilts.

I guess the most basic rule to remember about any item of military equipment - It was manufactured and provided by the lowest bidder.
    Last edited by The Wizard of BC; 28th April 18 at 12:22 PM.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

7. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cost saving?

Thank you very much Steve.

Do you know if kilts of WWI era were better quality? Like Battledress blouses became simplified for WWII to save money.

Thanks,
    Jags

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would not generalize that things were better or worse in any given period.
    Steve Ashton
    www.freedomkilts.com
    Skype (webcam enabled) thewizardofbc
    I wear the kilt because:
    Swish + Swagger = Swoon.

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to The Wizard of BC For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard of BC View Post
    I would not generalize that things were better or worse in any given period.
    Good to know, thanks Steve!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologize in advance for the comment I am about to make. If you wish to date a gent wearing a military kilt I would suggest buying him a bottle of single malt! If it is a young lass wearing the kilt, then flowers and chocolates. Again sorry for my attempt at poor humour.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    I apologize in advance for the comment I am about to make. If you wish to date a gent wearing a military kilt I would suggest buying him a bottle of single malt! If it is a young lass wearing the kilt, then flowers and chocolates. Again sorry for my attempt at poor humour.
    "Good judgement comes from experience, and experience
    well, that comes from poor judgement."
    A. A. Milne

Somehow, it seemed fitting. Apologies for my off centre humour.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

14. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Baeau For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Images

Last edited by Jags; 1st May 18 at 11:40 AM.

16. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Jags For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast