X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

3389 Schuylkill Rd, Spring City, PA 19475
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Tartan Design program is live!

After a LONG development process (much longer than anticipated), we would like to announce our own Tartan Designer program is up and running!

https://www.usakilts.com/tartandesigner

It's free to use to anyone who wants to give tartan designing a 'go'. We can weave cloth for you and make a kilt in it, but that's not the purpose of our designer... it's a toy for our customers to have fun with, while also being a serious enough tool to do actual design work.

2. The Following 11 Users say 'Aye' to RockyR For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just tried this on my tablet. Can't get past Step 2; I.e. Step 3 doesn't work.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair View Post
    Just tried this on my tablet. Can't get past Step 2; I.e. Step 3 doesn't work.
    Once you have selected the colors, tap the color banners once more to bring them down to the thread count box. I spent a good 20 minutes clicking around helplessly until I finally figured it out

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised to hear this, since I had little difficulty figuring it out, and I am far from what one would call tech savvy. I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but when I called myself 20thCenturyAnalogBoy back in my guitar forum days, it was way more than just a reference to Bad Religion's "21st Century Digital Boy".

In fact, when i first discovered it, I kind of went a little overboard and designed not one, not two, but six tartans over the course of less than a week:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	murrayofscheyichbi.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	34989 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	duchessoflionta.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	34990 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stelladitalia.png 
Views:	12 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	34991

Name:	luthier.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	34992 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	evansofscheyichbi.png 
Views:	9 
Size:	13.4 KB 
ID:	34993 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	murrayofscheyichbidress.png 
Views:	4 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	34994

So yeah, once you get the hang of it, it can be a bit addictive.

6. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Dollander For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyR View Post
    After a LONG development process (much longer than anticipated), we would like to announce our own Tartan Designer program is up and running!
    Dang. That's all kinds of fun!
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

8. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Taffy Jack For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dollander View Post
    I kind of went a little overboard and designed not one, not two, but six tartans over the course of less than a week... it can be a bit addictive.
    Very nice! You have a real talent for that. All of your designs are superior to many new ones I see woven and worn, but were designed by people lacking a sense of proportion, scale, and balance.

I especially like this one, in my opinion a very strong design

So many less-skilled designers would have erred either on the side of being too simplistic (feeling lacking in some way) or being too complex (feeling busy and congested). But you nailed that wonderful middle ground.

Well done!
    Last edited by OC Richard; 24th January 19 at 06:09 PM.
    Proud Mountaineer from the Highlands of West Virginia; son of the Revolution and Civil War; first Europeans on the Guyandotte

10. The Following 2 Users say 'Aye' to OC Richard For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My G-d, I'm terrible at that!

Fun, though.

Cheers,

Jack
    Ry'n ni yma o hyd, er gwaethaf pawb a phopeth.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OC Richard View Post
    Very nice! You have a real talent for that. All of your designs are superior to many new ones I see woven and worn, but were designed by people lacking a sense of proportion, scale, and balance.

I especially like this one, in my opinion a very strong design

So many less-skilled designers would have erred either on the side of being too simplistic (feeling lacking in some way) or being too complex (feeling busy and congested). But you nailed that wonderful middle ground.

Well done!
    Wow...I don't know what to say except thank you very much.

I suppose I should mention that, once I had the basic design, I tweaked the thread counts so that they'd all have nice, even reference points for pleating. So that could be a factor in why they appear so balanced. And I didn't just pull the designs from thin air, but was inspired by various sources. For example, Duchess of Ĺonta started as a hybrid of MacLean Hunting and HOE's Welsh National, while Luthier is meant to emulate the fretboard and sunburst finish of an electric bass. Murray of Scheyichbi is actually based on MacCallum, since many of the Murrays from this part of Scheyichbi (the Lenni Lenape name for what is now New Jersey) are MacCallums as well...and the dress version is for those like my sister who actually inherited the fairer Celtic complexion, while I'm certain people look at me and wonder, why is that Italian guy wearing a kilt?

Which of course leads me to the one you are particularly fond of, the Stella d'Italia. Inspired by USA Kilts' tartans based on county crests and state seals, and my own dissatisfaction with the Italian tartans presently available, I decided to create one based on the national emblem of Italy:

Hopefully you can see how it's based not only on the colors but on the design itself, as well as incorporating the colors of the flag subtly rather than blatantly the way some Italian tartans do.