X Marks the Scot - An on-line community of kilt wearers.

X Marks Partners - (Go to the Partners Dedicated Forums )
USA Kilts website Celtic Croft website Celtic Corner website Houston Kiltmakers

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inappropriate Wear

Something one doesn’t often see, Edinburgh Castle before the tourists arrived.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180906_092343[1].jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	35079

I was working there yesterday and on a visit to the Scottish National War Memorial saw this.

Name:	20180906_113252[1].jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	35078

Yes, he was an American!

He caused quite a stir and disquite for quite a few people by his bizarre outfit (what is that metal plate-thing on his head?) and wearing a sword inside a hollowed building. Thoughtless and completely inappropriate.

2. The Following 3 Users say 'Aye' to figheadair For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at a loss. I was tempted to say it's someone who watched too many episodes of Outlander, but not even that show has these bizarre elements. The furry boot tops? I have no idea.

On behalf of Americans, I apologize.

4. The Following 8 Users say 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd have to call this the Braveheart Effect. It makes me wonder a few things, firstly, did this guy have any mental health problems, seriously though is there some mental health issue going on here? If so how did he procure a sword? With the security at airports I doubt it came with him, however with the knife laws in the UK how could he have purchased it there? All in all it is a strange thing to see that is certain. My hope is that this individual educates himself on proper Highland dress and if there is mental health issues I hope he gets the help he needs. Nonetheless, I agree this type of outfit is wholly inappropriate.

6. The Following 5 Users say 'Aye' to McMurdo For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by figheadair

Name:	20180906_113252[1].jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	65.8 KB 
ID:	35078
    Looks like king Fergus from the movie Brave. He has a furry boot and a little skullcap helmet.

Last edited by FossilHunter; 7th September 18 at 03:08 PM. Reason: better picture
    Descendant of the Gillises and MacDonalds of North Morar.

8. The Following 6 Users say 'Aye' to FossilHunter For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    *face palm*

I think you're right. That would definitely explain the furry monstrosities on his legs, as well as the metal beanie.

10. The Following User Says 'Aye' to Tobus For This Useful Post:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I showed the photo to the eldest NALTD, & asked for her thoughts. She wanted to know if there was a rave near Edinburgh, that evening.

Add in: The eldest wished the photo of the American was clearer. She wanted to see if the individuals Tartan, matched that of King Fergus.
    Last edited by Baeau; 7th September 18 at 10:27 AM.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baeau View Post
    Add in: The eldest wished the photo of the American was clearer. She wanted to see if the individuals Tartan, matched that of King Fergus.
    I can answer that - no it would not be the same tartan as in the movie because it is a restricted tartan owned by Disney.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    I can answer that - no it would not be the same tartan as in the movie because it is a restricted tartan owned by Disney.
    Doesn't surprise either of us.
    "I can draw a mouse with a pencil, but I can't draw a pencil with a mouse"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by plaid preacher View Post
    Is it really a truly distictive tartan though? It seems to be predominantly only green & black on the cartoon figure, which is the basis for a fair few tartans...

Looks like he's wearing a belt with his sleevless jerkin... Is that ok because he's wearing a belted plaid or is it straying a bit close to waistcoat territory?...
    Last edited by Allan Thomson; 7th September 18 at 11:43 AM.

Victoria, BC Canada 48° 25' 47.31"N 123° 20' 4.59" W
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was once at a well known historical site for an event. Not hallowed ground but one where respect is normal. A guy showed up in similar costume thinking he was 'dressing the part'.

I think he caught on, that the way he was dressed, was a bit out of place, when a large group of young girls began pointing at him They started out giggling behind their hands and once he struck a pose for what he imagined would be a photo shoot they began laughing out loud and ran away.

The last I saw of him was his back as he headed out the gate to his car before the event even kicked off.

It was kinda sad really. He had probably spent many hours putting that outfit together and had probably spent quite a bit of money on movie props.

But not really any worse than any other guy in a kilt who dresses out of keeping with the event he is attending. The kilt is already outside of the 'norm' and sticking out like a sore thumb is just bound to get a photo of your costume showing up on somebodies worst dressed pintrest page. There really are worst dressed kilt pages. Google it. It is amazing how many photos have been lifted from X Marks on those things.
    Steve Ashton
    Forum Owner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast